How much smoke is too much?

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

elminero67

How much smoke is too much?

Post by elminero67 »

Was hoping to get a little feedback from other Sd22 owners: Ive had "El Brown Turd" for about four years, and put about 30,000 miles on her including trips down to some of the most remote places in the Sierra Madre of Mexico, and she has been reliable and economical.

But, she smokes pretty bad. On long hills I have to ease off the throttle to avoid dumping black smoke. I assume this is pretty normal.

Around town, even on normal acceleration from stoplights, she can put up a fair amount of black smoke.

On cold mornings, she will send up an epic cloud.

My question is, is this normal for the sd22, or a sign that it is time to retire her? Looking forward to hearing how much smoke others consider "normal"

elminero67

Post by elminero67 »

Also-oil use. When driven aggressively, i.e. on freeway above 65mph or on mtn passes, she uses about a quart of oil every 200-400 miles. If I drive her around town or backroads, I only use a quart every 700-1000 miles.
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

Smoke with these older diesels is usual.
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
sidevalve

Post by sidevalve »

Thats a lot of oil. Sounds like a tired ole' girl. Maybe time for pistons and liners, maybe more. My Sd 22 has close to half a million kms and doesn't use anywhere near that much oil. I use about a litre every 2000km, and black smoke only when it's on the govenor on big hills. And here in British Columbia we have some big hills.
!987 toyota 2wd pick-up with a SD22 from a 82 720.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Leaking injectors can cause a lot of black smoke. They dribble, perhaps time to get them rebuilt.
Oil consumption,,,,,,,,,,,,, perhaps getting a bit tired.
How is it to start ? HARD? Lot of cranking ?
If not then the oil my be getting past the valve seals.
How much stuff is dripping out the road draft tube ?
How about in the bottom of the throttle body chamber ?
What kind of oil are you using?
Your in the south ( sounds like ) so a good quality 15/40 would be OK.
I use it here in Canada all spring and summer and 5/40 Rotella in the winter.

If you want to squeeze a few more miles out of the "Turd" then next oil change dump in a bottle or 2 of STP. Great for sealing up stuff, short term fix for worn cyls/rings.

That's my $0.02

Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
sidevalve

Post by sidevalve »

P.S. I'd love to spend the winter in Mexico driving "El Brown Turd" around. Sure would beat hard starts on damp mornings on the wet coast. It snowed here last night. YUK
!987 toyota 2wd pick-up with a SD22 from a 82 720.
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

First thing I check for on a diesel that is putting out black smoke under load is a good, clean airfilter. A dirty airfilter limits the amount of air available and so cause black smoke by virtue of incomplete combustion. These engines need all the air they can get.

The next thing I would look for on these engines is the smoke point set. The same lever that shuts off the engine also sets the smoke point. Smoke point is the adjustment which limits the maximum amount of fuel injected at full throttle. It is required to prevent (or at least minimize) black smoke during full throttle operation. Enrichment for cold starting is also controlled by this lever. In the starting mode, the shut-off servo moves the lever all the way forward for extra fuel injection which does help a cold engine start. In the run mode, the lever is moved backwards some to where there should be minimal smoke under full throttle loading.

The position of the lever IS adjustable and if it is adjusted too far forward, there will be over-injection which shows as black smoke under full-throttle loading. This lever should be adjusted so that an absolute minimum of black smoke is visible on full throttle loading. The carbon which the black smoke consists of will ruin rings and cylinder bores as it is very abrasive. Over time, the carbon will also build up in the ring grooves and seize the rings, so even though running with black smoke gives a little more torque, the price for that increase is heavy.

N_R
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
elminero67

Post by elminero67 »

Thanks for the input-I believe the air filter is long overdue, havent changed it in a long, long time.

The reason I ask about the smoke is that it is time to retire "El Brown Turd" and I am installing the sd22 into an old Willys truck.

will start a new thread.
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009