Assembling an SD-22

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

cseger1

Assembling an SD-22

Post by cseger1 »

Hey everybody,

I finally got my motor back from the machine shop. I had to send the head to Missouri to be welded in an oven. It was pricey too. $1000. The local shop that had the block replaced all the bearings, installed the liners, pistons and rings. Now I have it back with the block assembled but none of the support systems and the valve head on. I've got the SD-22 FSM and am going to use it to put it back together. This thread will document the process and have all the questions I run into.

First question, how do you keep the Bosch Kiki shaft from spinning when you torque down the timing assembly nut.

Second, on the oil pan, it crosses a gasket that runs perpendicular to it's own gasket in two places. How should I best treat this area to keep it oil tight when I fasten on the oil pan?

Thanks, more to come.
Christian
1981 720 SD22
sidevalve

Post by sidevalve »

Looks good $$$
I've always put a dab of rtv silicone along the bottom of timing chain housing gaskets before putting the pan gasket on. But recently I've started using permatex red gasket maker. Been using it for a few years now in our shop with no leaks or problems. Just spead a thin line of across the timing housing gasket and then put your pan gasket on. voila'
!987 toyota 2wd pick-up with a SD22 from a 82 720.
cseger1

Post by cseger1 »

sidevalve wrote:Looks good $$$
I've always put a dab of rtv silicone along the bottom of timing chain housing gaskets before putting the pan gasket on. But recently I've started using permatex red gasket maker. Been using it for a few years now in our shop with no leaks or problems. Just spead a thin line of across the timing housing gasket and then put your pan gasket on. voila'
Excellent advice, thank you. There is a bit of timing cover gasket hanging down, should I trim it?
Christian
1981 720 SD22
cseger1

Post by cseger1 »

sidevalve wrote:Looks good $$$
Thanks sidevalve. Good info.
Christian
1981 720 SD22
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

The nut that you refer to tightening
Are you talking about the one that holds the gear to the pump that meshes with the other gears?

Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
cseger1

Post by cseger1 »

plenzen wrote:The nut that you refer to tightening
Are you talking about the one that holds the gear to the pump that meshes with the other gears?

Paul
The nut that holds the pump timing assembly (and timing gear) to the fuel pump. But I got that figured out. The gear doesn't get mounted until the pump is mounted to the block and the gears mesh at that point. So between the gear meshing to the crank and the keyway meshing the shaft to the gear, the shaft will not spin, problem solved.
Christian
1981 720 SD22
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Gotcha

We used to just stick a rag between the teeth and lock it up that way.

Project looks good

Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
cseger1

Post by cseger1 »

So at this point I am 90% assembled. This is the first engine I have ever put together and I am happy it's going so easy. Having a raped engine in the corner for fasteners sure does help.

Anybody know what the little fitting going into the block right next to the injection pump controller is for? Looks like an oil line should go there from something and i am stumped.
Christian
1981 720 SD22