sd22 in a 1948 Willys Truck.

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

elminero67

Post by elminero67 »

Update on the SD23 with a little good and bad;

Took her out for a 150 mile test ride in a variety of conditions, side roads, little 4x4 action, and about 60 miles of interstate. I suspect that this may be the first time this old truck has seen an interstate, as prior to swapping in the Nissan diesel, the maximum speed was about 43-45 mph. With the SD22 it went 55mph on flat ground, but could not hold 5th on a grade. With the SD23, I hit 64 mph by the end of the on-ramp, slowed down to 62 and held that speed for 30 miles at a reasonable rpm, despite having 5.38 gears in the axles! Overall, I averaged 30.9 mpgs for the day in a one-ton 4x4. The SD23 is the shizzle.

The bad news is that when I checked all of the fluids, I noticed that a small amount of coolant was leaking down the block behind the starter...this is not good.

I believe I had mentioned it earlier, but the warranty for JDM motors is only good for one month from the date of arrival. Jeez I hope it is just a head gasket...
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

If your driving on roads like the ones in the photo, that kind of mileage is great.
1st gear must be just about worthless with 538 gears in the rear, but it's good that it's in driver status, I hope the coolant leak is something small, maybe it's your heater core hose.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
elminero67

Post by elminero67 »

That was about the mpg's I was hoping for, based on my SD22 powered 720 that averaged between 29 to 35 mpg's. Ironically it got lowest mpgs on the highway while being pushed hard. As a footnote, these are reasonably accurate estimates, as opposed to many peoples claim of getting 50 mpg from a SD motor...

I'm hoping that the radiator fluid leakage is from SOMEWHERE external...I'm closely monitoring the oil and radiator.

The 5.38s aren't too bad as I have 33" tall tires that balance it out to a degree. iirc 1st gear in low range is around 45 to 1. Low. but not low enough for my tastes. I may double up the transfer cases which would give about 100 to 1 low range. As far as street driving, I can start in 1st or 2nd gears.

BTW, i'm curious how you made the 720 throttle cable work on your SD-it is way too short!
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

I used a napZ throttle cable, as the carb is on the passenger side on them engines, and it's made for the 720.
I have a friend that got 40mpg in his SD22 720, but the guy drives 55mph, I personally cannot drive 55, so I get about 29/30mpg doing about 70/75, I have done 36mpg before going 55 in my silver 720, but when I pushed it to 70mph, it dropped to 27, but I got 25mpg in the city no matter what with that truck.
Larry said he got 48mpg with that turbo setup he has, it would not surprise me, he is a smart guy, he does a lot of research, now he is messing with propane also, he is likely the best thing that has happened to are diesel engines in decades, not many have successfully turbo charged a SD engine to daily driver status without issues, as far as I know he has no issues.
elminero67

Post by elminero67 »

Are we talking about Larry or the turbo?
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

elminero67 wrote:Are we talking about Larry or the turbo?

I'm not sure about your question, Larry has turbocharged his SD25 engine, I have rode in it, although we never got over 30mph because we never left the side streets where he lives.
It has more power starting out, but what interests me is the hiway, that is where I want more power.
Eventually I will turbocharge my diesel 521, I just have a lot going on right now, but I have purchased a lot of the parts already.
I mentioned him because he was one that claimed over 40mpg, but I also said why he might be getting that kind of mileage, the turbo(more air).
elminero67

Post by elminero67 »

Larry-I was making a joke in reference to the conclusion in the previous post that said "as far as I know, he (Larry) has no issues..."

Seemed funny, but everything is a little "funny" these days as i'm popping Percocet every couple of hours after breaking my arm in at least three places over the weekend. So bear with me if my humor or focus runs off on random tangents.

The SD23 powered Willys is on hold for a while, just when I felt it was getting roadworthy. I will see if I can find a stock 720 throttle cable, which is what I should have done in the first place as I am using the 720 gas pedal.
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

elminero67 wrote:Larry-I was making a joke in reference to the conclusion in the previous post that said "as far as I know, he (Larry) has no issues..."

Seemed funny, but everything is a little "funny" these days as i'm popping Percocet every couple of hours after breaking my arm in at least three places over the weekend. So bear with me if my humor or focus runs off on random tangents.

The SD23 powered Willys is on hold for a while, just when I felt it was getting roadworthy. I will see if I can find a stock 720 throttle cable, which is what I should have done in the first place as I am using the 720 gas pedal.

I hope you feel better soon. wayne
Last edited by waynosworld 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

elminero67 I got the joke.
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
elminero67

Post by elminero67 »

I was hoping it was only broke in three places, but after 4 1/2 hour surgery I awoke to find a reconstructed forearm chock full of screws and plates. follow this thread at your own risk, cause for the next month or two as im not going to even bother with punctuation!

What is worse is that i'm concerned that I damaged the Sd23 ip. in inadvertently left it on for four days, now she doesn't want to start. any ideas what I could have done? (battery has been recharged)

I had time to go over the long list of sd22, 23 and 25 turbo threads, and have started assembling parts to turbocharge my Sd23. I picked up a water cooled Garrett t24 from a Nissan 240sx with an internal wastegate and factory 7 psi setting. The guy threw in a bunch of freebies, so im hoping I can get this set up for a couple hundred $.
Hopefully this wont be another Sd## thread that ends with a cracked head or piston...first thing I did was order a new sd23 head gasket as i'd like to inspect the internals and make sure everything is hunky-dory before I start so I can determine if the turbo is to blame should any carnage result!
Last edited by elminero67 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

elminero67 wrote:I was hoping it was only broke in three places, but after 4 1/2 hour surgery I awoke to find a reconstructed forearm chock full of screws and plates. follow this thread at your own risk, cause for the next month or two as im not going to even bother with punctuation!

What is worse is that i'm concerned that I damaged the Sd23 ip. in inadvertently left it on for four days, now she doesn't want to start. any ideas what I could have done? (battery has been recharged)

I had time to go over the long list of sd22, 23 and 25 turbo threads, and have started assembling parts. I picked up a water cooled Garrett t24 from a Nissan 240sx with an internal wastegate and factory 7 psi setting. The guy threw in a bunch of freebies, so im hoping I can get this set up for a couple hundred $.
Hopefully this wont be another Sd## thread that ends with a cracked head or piston...first thing I did was order a new sd23 head gasket as i'd like to inspect the internals and make sure everything is hunky-dory before I start so I can determine if the turbo is to blame should any carnage result!
Ask Larry what turbo you need, the biggest rate of failure when turbocharging these engines is to big of a turbo, people think they need a 2.2 liter gas turbo for there diesel engine, when in reality we need to use a 1600/1800 liter gas turbo.
Ask Larry, he has a SD25 and I believe is using a smaller turbo than the one you referred to above.
I hope you get better soon.
elminero67

Post by elminero67 »

I understand your concern, but after researching every turbo'ed SD motor I could find on the internet over the last week, im convinced that most fail either because the motor is tired, is driven too aggressively (i.e. drifting...), or because the installer didn't put on the right head gasket or for that matter, even check the torque settings on the head bolts before installing a turbo.
I have an setup that can be adjusted from the cab, will start with 4-5 psi and work up to 7 psi.
elminero67

Post by elminero67 »

Still haven't get her to start, the only thing I can think of is that I damaged the solenoid to the IP when I left it on for four days...tried to remove it to inspect it but failed as I'm just not good for much with one arm, may have to wait a week or two unless I can give my step kids a guilt trip...
I tried to see what model injector pump I have online, but since I don't know what vehicle it came on, I had little luck searching online. Good thing to remember if you order an overseas motor- finding parts when you don't know what you have can be tough!
ALSo emailed several forklift salvage yards looking for that elusive Sd22 exhaust manifold that exits at the front. Finding one of these work better than modifying the stock automotive manifold for the Sd motor when I install the turbo. Hopefully will receive good news from one of those salvage yards tomorrow.
That's all I got
elminero67

Post by elminero67 »

As I suspected, it was the injection pump solenoid: I don't know if anyone with a SD23 or SD25 with the VE injection pump with similar issues will ever end up reading this thread, but they are a pain in the rear to reach. It may have been easier had I not stripped the thread on the bracket that holds the throttle cable. Here is a picture of the perpetrator:
This little guy is basically a magnetically operated plunger that blocks fuel delivery when the 12v "ignition" is off. It really has no moving parts or anything that should in theory fail, kind of an Ockam's Razor solution. I'm not sure how it failed, but you can test it by removing the plunger. You will have to stall the motor to kill it though...
I'd recommend not testing it this way as it takes a lot of work to remove-I had to remove the injection lines, oil filter and battery to get close, then still had to modify a brand new 24 mm wrench with a grinder to get it out.

Finding a replacement was harder than needed as I could not find this part online or at any of the local parts store, I tried the Nissan dealer, for reasons I still don't understand because Nissan parts dept doesn't make any effort to support older Nissans, and, not surprisingly, they had nothing. After searching online for several hours, I stumbled on a picture of a shut-off solenoid for a 1985 Volkswagon diesel with a Bosch VE injection pump. I took a chance and ordered one online, and as it turns out, this same shut-off solenoid is used in many applications:

plenzen

Post by plenzen »

yes a PITA to get to in the vehicle.

Too bad I did not know you needed one of those.
I have a spare used one from my rebuild.

But

You found one is all that matters.
Perhaps would have been easier to take the pump off to change it, you were nearly there anyway.
They come out pretty easy.
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN