sd22 in a 1948 Willys Truck.

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

elminero67

Post by elminero67 »

jeez I hope you are wrong!
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

You can actually order a flywheel from Nissan.

I did, and it was cheaper than getting one built

Comes with a new ring gear on it

Down side is I had to wait 6 weeks for it to come from Japan

I will get part number for it later and post it.

Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
elminero67

Post by elminero67 »

Thanks. I'd appreciate it if you could post the numbers. being able to quickly fix my $ mistake would be instrumental in maintaining marital harmony...

I don't know how I dropped the ball on this one. I thought I had been through every possible posting of "SD23" diesel on the internet looking for potential issues swapping as SD22 to and SD23. didn't even think of flywheel issues.

The motor is scheduled to arrive Thursday. Many questions will be answered.
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

elminero67 wrote:Thanks. I'd appreciate it if you could post the numbers. being able to quickly fix my $ mistake would be instrumental in maintaining marital harmony...

I don't know how I dropped the ball on this one. I thought I had been through every possible posting of "SD23" diesel on the internet looking for potential issues swapping as SD22 to and SD23. didn't even think of flywheel issues.

The motor is scheduled to arrive Thursday. Many questions will be answered.

I would not call this a mistake(per say), it's a learning thing, I looked it up the other day but did not want to be the kill joy, but the book says all SD23 engines are the 5 main bearing type like the SD25, they even made some SD22 engines with 5 main bearings.
When looking for an engine, you want to buy what you are planning on using, if that is a standard transmission type, then you need to buy an engine that has a standard type flywheel, unless you know that what you have will work.
Someone I believe it might have been on here was looking for an auto flex plate(flywheel), don't know if what you have coming is what they need, but it might be worth looking into, it was in the pedal/procure section.
EDIT
I see you found it already. Image
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
elminero67

Post by elminero67 »

I haven't completely ruled out using the auto transmission. Part of it may depend on what tranny it is, how much electrical crap is involved, and how much work it would take to build reliable shift linkage. From what I've read some of the Nissan auto transmissions are direct drive in 3rd and 4th(overdrive), so they don't lose precious hp.
As an upside, using an auto transmission would also effectively lower my low range in 4x4. I currently have 5.38 gears, with the 5 speed and transfer case gives me about 43 to 1 first gear in low range. Slightly lower than a stock Willys Jeep, but not as low as I'd like.
I could add a second Nissan transfer case and come out with about 90 to 1 first gear, but the Nissan transfer cases add a lot of drag to the drivetrain. If I were to make a ballpark estimate, I'd say that I lost at least 10 hp's when I installed the transfer case.
Won't know til it gets here, but something to think about.
elminero67

Post by elminero67 »

Waynosworld-was that you who was looking for a diesel radiator? I went through my pile-o-parts behind the shed and found one in good shape, but now I can't find who it was that was recently looking for one....
elminero67

Post by elminero67 »

disregard-it was Charmalu. I couldn't find the post in search as it was not on the SD** forum.
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

elminero67 wrote:Waynosworld-was that you who was looking for a diesel radiator? I went through my pile-o-parts behind the shed and found one in good shape, but now I can't find who it was that was recently looking for one....
I have a couple extra 720 diesel radiators, and most everything I do now that is diesel needs a custom radiator now, as it's not in a 720 anymore.
I just sold one to someone in Portland I met on here or Ratsun, or maybe I met them on craigslist, I can't remember anymore.

If you do find that you have to order a flywheel, and they do actually have them to sell in stock, I would be interested in one myself, the one I had made will likely work, but if it doesn't, I would like one on hand.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Here is part number from NIssan for the flywheel

1231018G10

$300.00 cdn. delivered from Japan.

Came with new ring gear on it.
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
elminero67

Post by elminero67 »

Thanks.
I hate when you being cheap, and it costs more money.
elminero67

Post by elminero67 »

A quick search of the flywheel part # Plenzon shared shows that it may be available much cheaper...still looking but this is encouraging
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Oh I have no doubt it will be much cheaper in the US.
We get hosed pretty bad on car parts here in Canada.
Not sure why but I suspect because "they can"

Good luck.

Paul
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
elminero67

Post by elminero67 »

Yep. You got it, it is all a conspiracy to punish Canadians for exporting Justin Bieber.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Its still worth it. :wink:
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
elminero67

Post by elminero67 »

"new" motor arrived today!