Oil dipstick length? And a ridiculous story later.

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

ipper

Oil dipstick length? And a ridiculous story later.

Post by ipper »

If anybody knows how to link to posts let me know. But I found on this forum that the dipstick on the sd22 is 21" from 'shoulder' to full. The dipstick in my SD22 is shorter than that.

Can anyone confirm that dipstick length? The one I have is 21" from the top of the cap (perhaps the 'shoulder'), 18.5" to the safe 19 & 3/16" to add. Its from a Ford :)
1982Datsunsd22

Post by 1982Datsunsd22 »

I measured the dipstick on my 1982 Datsun sd22. 21" from shoulder to full I bought my truck from original owner so i know it is correct. Overall length from shoulder to end 22 1/4"
ipper

Post by ipper »

Thanks! So I've been overfilling my truck by two or three quarts... Thankfully it seems like no damage has been done, but it would explain the ridiculous oil loss before it was parked & the black streak following the last test drive.
1982Datsunsd22

Post by 1982Datsunsd22 »

I have 3 Datsun factory sd22 Diesel service manuals. 1 ,says" 6/-3/8ths quart of oil with filter change" The other 2 say 5/1/2 qt with oil filter change . I put in 5 1/2 quarts. Shows" Full"l on dip stick. 3 yrs no problem
Do not worry about 'Overfilling' [too much] However ,a Diesel can 'Run Away',If it sucks oil from the crankcase, and feeds the engine [way over filled], There are some "Runaway" Diesel vids on You Tube. I always keep something to cover the air intake If It goes wide open and will not shut off.
ipper

Post by ipper »

Yea it was over-filled so bad that oil was pouring out the breather tube when the motor was running. I had just been topping it off while I tried to figure out why it was leaking, turns out it was leaking because I was topping it off :) Now I just have to find a new dipstick.

How would you stop a runaway motor running on lube oil? Cutoff the air somehow? Or would you have to stall it?
1982Datsunsd22

Post by 1982Datsunsd22 »

Diesel Fuel Rail got stuck Pump went wide open ,Diesels have no ignition
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NRaqgab0_w
1982Datsunsd22

Post by 1982Datsunsd22 »

Here is a Modern Runaway over filled w/ oil ..Scary! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw2r_lIRgpY