LD28 oil level checks

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

richard Novossiltzeff

LD28 oil level checks

Post by richard Novossiltzeff »

My marine LD28 never shows a "normal" oil level on the dip stick.
At oil change + filter I take 6 liters of oil out (we do that trough the dip stick tube with a ¼" tube fitted to a hand pump because we can't reach the sump) and I put 6 liters back in. The dip stick always shows a range between a minimum amount of +/- ¼" to a maximum half full or slightly more, hot or cold and never shows full and I don't want to overfill . All paramaters are right on when the engine is running.
Is that normal or am I not doing something right?
Richard
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Richard, I'm having trouble understanding what's going on.

The '83 auto spec is 6.2l oil (when replacing the oil filter as well), but I do not know how that might apply to the marine version.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
richard Novossiltzeff

Hi A,
Dip stick readings always show the actual oil level? Not on my engine, I seldom have a reading that makes sense, even after an oil change with the proper amount of oil back in - that's what I am trying to explain. Actualy, maybe I shouldn't worry about it as long as what is showing is consistant and the engine is still excellent on oil consumption.
Richard
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

are you checking the oil when the engine is running?

Is it on a boat that rocks? That might make a little bit of oil slosh around and give innacurate readings.
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
richard Novossiltzeff

Hi Al and Kassim 503
It has occured to me that the dip stick is not the original one.
The one I have now is clearly etched with markings that may not show the proper level of oil - maybe someone lost the original dip stick in 100 feet of water???
Can someone measure the distance between the rubber stop to the """normal""" values of Max and Min oil level of a normal LD28 dip stick, as well as a photo of what it loooks like?
Thanks to all
Richard
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Forgive the horizontal scrolling on this one.

(click on image for huge version)

This would be a helluva lot easier to do the dimensioning in AutoCad. I just can't run PhotoShop well enough to do a decent job of it.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
richard Novossiltzeff

Al,
Thanks for the picture - great workmanship!
The stick is basically the same in looks, 15.000" instead of 14.750 long.
The original H and L are hard to distinguish: H= 13.464 and L= 14.685. The new marks are completly different: H= 13.070 and L= 13.661. The actual oil level is 13.780 or 2/3 up from the original L - which is good.
Anyway, I'll use the original marks, off course - strange readings though, you have to dip, wipe clean 2 to 3 times .
P.S. All measuments are conversions from metric.
Thanks again for your help to all.
Richard
arcatalibra

original oil dipstick

Post by arcatalibra »

What a coincidence- I have been thinking that the dipstick in my 83 couldn't be original because it looks so good- so new- but it looks exactly like the one in Als photo - you'r handy with that computer imaging too I see- nice job
L
Libra in California
83 diesel maxima sedan
2nd owner