which engines are compatible with caball 340 sd22 engine

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

Andre

which engines are compatible with caball 340 sd22 engine

Post by Andre »

Hello for all from Portugal !

I got the gift - Nissan Caball HQLC 340 WA from 1978 with sd22 broken engine.
And at first I'd like to know which others engines of Nissan are compatible for replacement to Caball,
or I shall to found the same engine ?. I think the Cabstar engine (motor block)could be wihth same dimensions. Or, may be,Nissan pickups(I don't know wich model is) has the same or compatible engines ?
So,I'll be very grateful for information from forum community members about my question or maybe someone had done similar replacement?
plenzen

Re: which engines are compatible with caball 340 sd22 engine

Post by plenzen »

First off welcome to the forum.

To the best of my knowledge the SD22 and the 23 and 25 should all be interchangeable in the same application.
That being said, it's not likely some of the accessories are interchangeable between them.
As an example, the exhaust manifold from the SD 22 may not bolt on to the SD 25 etc.
All the engines share the same external dimensions and will bolt to the same bell housing etc.
The "glow systems" and fuel pumps may be different between them as well.
If the Cabal has a unique exhaust routing that has a different exhaust manifold on the existing SD22 and you find a donor motor in SD23 or 25 then you may be looking at re configuring that part of the Cabals exhaust system.
The throttle linkage may be set up for the SD22 fuel pump but may not be compatible with the donor engine if they have a different fuel pump on them. There were 2 basic designs available. The "inline" type which was more common than the rarer "VE" style.
These are the types of things that you may have to overcome.
The flywheels may be different between them as well. Bear this in mind too.
Not certain if the bolt pattern of the SD22 flywheel is the same as that in a SD25 as the crankshafts were different.
If there is a specific clutch bolt pattern for the Cabal's clutch then you may have to get the donor flywheel drilled to accommodate.

Hopefully this helps you

Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
Andre

Post by Andre »

Thank's for the information,Paul ! But I would like to know which models of Nissan has these 23 and 25 engines.Because in Portugal more easyful to find "younger" nissan model engine than properly Caball sd22.
So I need to know which car's engine must to find for know what modifications I will have to do.
Greetings.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

That's going to be tough for me to say, not knowing what models and styles Nissan built and shipped there.
The "Cabal" never made it to North America nor did many other models that Nissan made.
These engines ( 22 and 25's) appeared in NA in small pickup trucks. 720's in the US and Canada and the D21 in Canada only for 1 year.
The 22's 23' and 25's were used in many other applications from Marine use to Forklift trucks, pumps, small generators etc.

Good Luck

EDIT:
I realize its "wikipedia" however, they list a number of vehicles that the SD engine was used in.
Perhaps some of the models listed were shipped to Portugal ????

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_SD_engine
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
Andre

Post by Andre »

Thanks for respost,Paul.720s pickups could be an option,because these cars Portugal has a lot.And at the same time I'll search for Cbstar's engine. (truck's image link is)

https://www.google.pt/imgres?imgurl=htt ... MwhxKEkwSQ

As can you see the Caball and the older Cabstar are looks alike and probably uses same or similar engines.
Thanks and talk to you later !
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

If you get a chance to post some photos of your "project" and keep us informed on how it turns out that would be nice too.

Paul
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN