SD22 into a Sonoma

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

buckshot

SD22 into a Sonoma

Post by buckshot »

Greetings Folks,
YO, is any body out there...HELLO, HELLO... or am I shouting into the wilderness......I need to locate an operating rod that connects from the injection pump to the injection pump controller....or if that is not possible what is the correct length of the rod so I can try to make one...I have searched many of the wrong places because I have not found this information.....
have fun,
buckshot
Take time to smell the roses before you end up under them ! ! !

Road rage can be hazardous to your health ! ! !
buckshot

Re: SD22 into a Sonoma

Post by buckshot »

...OK, I found the length of the rod....and made one but nothing from the masses......

plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Not too many coming in here anymore sadly. Glad you were able to locate or fabricate one.
I could not have helped you anyway as I have the VE style pump on mine.
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
buckshot

Post by buckshot »

Thanks for the feed back Plenzen. I was beginning to think NO ONE was out there......Yes, it is a shame on the lack of folks but for quite a while I too was not working on my truck....I started the engine
yestersay......Noise and smoke through out the shop.....I have a high idle and am trying to figure out why. The idle should be between 550 and 600 rpm give or take. It's running about 850 or 900. I am
reading on what it might be. I am reading about a possible vacuum leak......
Have fun,
buckshot

plenzen

Post by plenzen »

I'd be more inclined to think that one ( or more) of the injectors is dribbling/leaking rather than a vacuum leak. These little guys didn't make any vacuum to speak of that's why they put a vacuum pump on the back of the alternator so the brake booster would work. You might be getting a bit of blow by as well being fed into the intake (feeding it more fuel basically).
I am not too sure on the throttle setup as mentioned but try manually pulling back on the fuel lever on the side of the pump and see if it slows down some.
If its been sitting for a long time take it out and drive it like you stole it for a few miles and see what happens. IIRC they had an altitude compensator or some other thing on that whole throttle assembly thing. There are lots of threads on this forum from back in the day with people playin with/fighting with/ cursing at this set up. I know Phillip (rip) and Al as well as a few others whose name I cant recall off the top of my head, did extensive research and I think even posted some pretty good diagrams as well as some work arounds.

Good luck.

Paul
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
buckshot

Post by buckshot »

Good afternoon,
Yes, I can regulate the throttle by hand at the pump linkage....Down to an idle and moving it further to stop the motor...Otherwise if I don't try to control it by hand it goes to HIGH rpm... When operating it by hand the engine response is fast and strong even without the turbo pressure unhooked from the carb......When operating it by hand at the pump the carb throttle linkage has little or NO effect on what speed the engine will run at,,,,I had hoped that once the operating rod was attached the carb linkage would become operational....Do you remember what title the links were under for me to search for further info ? Do you happen to have a phone number for Wayne ? I tried to a private message to him but no response..I may attempt to find someone here in Ocala, Florida who may have experience on these SD22"S
Have fun,
Allen

plenzen

Post by plenzen »

I believe its under the DPC controller.
I will try and find a phone number for Wayne.
As I recall the PM service on this site is no longer working.

Sometimes Al ( administrator) comes on and has a look around and sees what's going on.
I think he's just completed a residence move so not sure that he has all his "stuff" unpacked yet.

Another way you may be able to reach out to Wayne is by using the members list and see if he has an actual email address in there and use that by regular email practices.
Another idea is, to make comment in the last topic he was participating in and leave a message for him in there.
I think it's under user "soot fart" and some flywheel issues he was sorting out. I know its kind of like hijacking the thread but as a means to get him a message I don't think it's out of line.

The SD 22s I had to deal with "back in the day" were all industrial type engines ( marine ) that did not have any of that kind of stuff on the side of the pumps. It was simply a lever that a cable ran to from the wheelhouse. The engines were truck engines, but not meant for the North American Automotive type of trucks, and NIssan did some mods with that system to allow them to operate in a more general automotive type of vehicle.

I'm not 100% sure but I think that Wayne did some work arounds to get them so it was not so complicated.

Good luck

Another thing that's not really working on the site is the notifications of new posts. I/we/all of us have to actually log in and see if there are any updates to threads that we have been following etc. So if it's a day or so before you get any kind of response it's because of that.

Paul
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

buckshot wrote: 1 year ago Good afternoon,
Yes, I can regulate the throttle by hand at the pump linkage....Down to an idle and moving it further to stop the motor...Otherwise if I don't try to control it by hand it goes to HIGH rpm... When operating it by hand the engine response is fast and strong even without the turbo pressure unhooked from the carb......When operating it by hand at the pump the carb throttle linkage has little or NO effect on what speed the engine will run at,,,,I had hoped that once the operating rod was attached the carb linkage would become operational....Do you remember what title the links were under for me to search for further info ? Do you happen to have a phone number for Wayne ? I tried to a private message to him but no response..I may attempt to find someone here in Ocala, Florida who may have experience on these SD22"S
Have fun,
Allen
I did not realize you had a turbocharger on this engine, I am more familiar with how to pipe things to make things work properly depending on how you piped the turbocharger vacuum lines, I figured out a few different ways to change fuel mixture(richer/leaner) with a turbo involved, I sent you my phone number via email, I do not carry my phone all the time now(leave it at home a lot), so leave a message and I will call you back as I do not pick up out of my area area codes.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
buckshot

Post by buckshot »

Greetings folks,
Need some help here......Waynesworld are you out there ? ? ? I have the SD22 installed and operating in the Sonoma after finding and replacing the injection pump diaphragm. It starts and runs well except for not being able to cruse along at a steady speed and rpm. It reaches an rpm and then it seems that the fuel cuts and it begins to slow down unless I increase the throttle a bit more. It then increases again until it reaches the new throttle position and it again seems to shut off the fuel until I hit the throttle again.....Its a back and forth trying to keep the engine at a steady rpm...I just cant seem to keep it at a steady cruse rpm....
Another question is that there is a small vacuum type hose that comes from the injection pump just to the rear of the four injectors and I think use to go to the tube type port in the front side of the air cleaner funnel...I am wondering if there is a need to have this hose hooked up to the air inlet hose again....Would there be a need to have even a little bit of vacuum to have the injector pump operate properly meaning that I would be to have the engine maintain a steady rpm with it hooked up ? ? ?
Have fun,
buckshot

waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

Hi there Buckshot, I do not know a lot of things, but this kind of sounds like a plugged fuel filter, it starts starving at higher RPMs, then catches up and runs normally until it starts staving again, the same thing happens to me when the pre-filter gets plugged up, there is also a screen on the bottom of the fuel pump in the banjo fitting that could likely cause this,

But I have to say that when any of these things happens to me it normally does not come back unless I let the engine idle for a while, if I want it to drive normally and if I want to get all the way home I normally would have to replace the prefilter(was on the 720 firewall), all my trucks with turbos have some kind of prefilter, the 521 kingcab has a small cheap screen filter as I can not get the stock diesel version, my 720 dually has a canister prefilter because I have the room.

I have to say this, I myself have never had the stock spin on fuel filter get plugged, I have only had issues with the prefilter, but on a trip with my friend to pick up a 720 diesel(towed it home with his other diesel), after we got home he said that the engine was loosing power/surging going up hills where he was deep into the pedal, he said changing the spin on fuel filter fixed the issue.

I do not know what you have for fuel filters as that engine did not come in your truck, I do not even recall if you put it in there or if someone else did, check your prefilter first, then check the spin on fuel filter if you have that, then check the screen on the bottom of the fuel pump, be very careful with that one as I have been to diesel shops and no one had a replacement for that screen and they break easily.

That is all I have for now on that.

The only other issue I have had was just the opposite of what you described, when I come to a hill and boost rises, my engine will sometimes pick up speed like it is running away, I have a lot of stuff I installed for testing, one of the things bleeds off boost in the vent line you were talking about, if I bleed to much boost pressure off the injection pump runs too rich and it starts running away, I have to let off the pedal to cut off the air to stop that issue, for me if that vacuum line was cracked it would do the same thing, the engine would try to run away, I do not use that valve anymore, both the lines see the same amount of boost so they cancel each other out and the venturi inside the carb looking thing on the intake works properly, I do not see how you or anyone else could get the throttle to work properly doing it any other way.

I can get more detailed, but I have no idea how you did your turbocharger setup, so I might be wasting both of our times(me typing, you reading), I would have to know how you did your turbocharger install completely to give any advice on that, I just described my setup above.

I normally check this site everyday in the afternoon except Sunday for new posts.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.