Blue Smoke

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

billyg

Blue Smoke

Post by billyg »

Previous lurker - new member. First a word of thanks to the folks that have the knowledge/experience with the SD's for starting this forum, you've helped more than you can know. Al and Phil have been especially helpful. The pictures/diagrams that accompany some of the posts are invaluable when you're working on one of these at midnight and can't seem to find what you need in the (factory) tech manual. I found my '83 extended cab SD-22 with 97K (3 little rust spots is all, other than that the body/interior is 95%) about a year ago and have been slowly proceeding as my time allows.

It hadn't run in about 7+ years due to the old man that had it not knowing what he had. I hauled it home, changed fluids filters and after letting some PB Blaster sit on top of the pistons (hopefully - thru the glow plug holes, which were replaced with new) for two weeks, and priming the pump, I had myself pushed down the concrete drive. When I popped the clutch- the engine turned over no problem (WHEW!) but did'nt start. I then got my dad to pull it with my 81 Luv diesel down the road in front of the house and after about 300 yards it started bucking and I knew I was in business.

Long story short, it ran, BUT, I think I've got injector troubles and the next thing I'm going to do is pull them and take them to a deisel shop for inspection/rebuild. I've got blue smoke that doesn't smell like oil (which I was afraid of given the long period of time it just sat there) and it misses audibly (at the tail pipe). I also seem to hear what sounds like a vacuum leak when I lean into the engine compartment over the front left fender. It sounds like a high pitched whistle. What I'm not sure of is if the rough/wandering-high idle is the result of the (potential) leak or if it's injector related. Thanks again to Phil for showing the EGR valve and telling me where the vacuum accumulator is and I plan to ship my oil line to the vacumm pump off to that place in southern cal to get the new hose put on the existing ends.

I know there's ton's more work left but I hope to have it operating and sounding as solid as the '81 Luv before I'm done.
"Let me control a nations currency and I care not who makes the laws" N.M Rothschild
philip
Deceased

Re: Blue Smoke

Post by philip »

billyg wrote:Previous lurker - new member. First a word of thanks to the folks that have the knowledge/experience with the SD's for starting this forum, you've helped more than you can know. Al and Phil have been especially helpful. The pictures/diagrams that accompany some of the posts are invaluable when you're working on one of these at midnight and can't seem to find what you need in the (factory) tech manual.
Thank you for the kind words, "billyg". :) Al and I are of like mind where it comes to "a good photo is worth a thousand words."

billyg wrote:I found my '83 extended cab SD-22 with 97K (3 little rust spots is all, other than that the body/interior is 95%) about a year ago and have been slowly proceeding as my time allows.

It hadn't run in about 7+ years due to the old man that had it not knowing what he had. I hauled it home, changed fluids filters and after letting some PB Blaster sit on top of the pistons (hopefully - thru the glow plug holes, which were replaced with new) for two weeks, and priming the pump, I had myself pushed down the concrete drive. When I popped the clutch- the engine turned over no problem (WHEW!) but did'nt start. I then got my dad to pull it with my 81 Luv diesel down the road in front of the house and after about 300 yards it started bucking and I knew I was in business.
Already sounds like the little diesel Nissan fell into kind and understanding hands.
billyg wrote:Long story short, it ran, BUT, I think I've got injector troubles and the next thing I'm going to do is pull them and take them to a diesel shop for inspection/rebuild. I've got blue smoke that doesn't smell like oil (which I was afraid of given the long period of time it just sat there) and it misses audibly (at the tail pipe). I also seem to hear what sounds like a vacuum leak when I lean into the engine compartment over the front left fender. It sounds like a high pitched whistle. What I'm not sure of is if the rough/wandering-high idle is the result of the (potential) leak or if it's injector related. Thanks again to Phil for showing the EGR valve and telling me where the vacuum accumulator is and I plan to ship my oil line to the vacumm pump off to that place in southern cal to get the new hose put on the existing ends.

I know there's ton's more work left but I hope to have it operating and sounding as solid as the '81 Luv before I'm done.
You probably have a hydraulic line shop in a city near you.

While you're diagnosing the wandering idle, do read the Pneumatic Governor Diaphragm and theFuel Filter Replacement threads.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
billyg

update

Post by billyg »

Just to go on the record with the fixes to my previous post about the 'blue smoke'; long story short (note the difference in dates of my two posts here), I had three injectors rebuilt and bought one new (at the recommendation of 'City Diesel' in Decatur Al), replaced the fuel pump diaphragm which was absolutely SHOT and replaced the valve stem seals. This cured 85% of my smoking issue.

Still scratching my head over the remaining smoke when I realized the valves were noisy on startup (till it got warm), SO, adjusted the valves and found that the feeler gauge (at the prescribed thickness) wouldn't even go between 6 of the rockers/valves, DUH! Thought it thru and realized that valves don't get loose over time, they get 'tight'. Adjusted them all and there was ZERO smoke at the next startup.

It's been road worthy for about a week (wheel cylinders/shoes/tires) and when I'm going down the road, on acceleration I can see the little swirls of black smoke in my strategically adjusted mirror and I"ve actually accumulated black soot on the bottom of the fender at the exhaust. Haven't tackled that yet but it doesn't strike me as normal for it to 'soot up' so quick (washed it before I started driving it so I know it's from this 1/2 tank of diesel).

Being that it's such a rare find, I'm fixing it right - no cheap shortcuts. Found out that half of the 97K came behind an RV and the old man that bought it new missed it dearly when he sold it to the other old man I bought it from. That means the engine probably has less than 50k on it, of course the next thing is to tackle ALL the dry rotted rubber under the front end and I'm sure I'll be consulting this forum a lot as my time permits.

Phillip has already put me on Monroe shocks (save the receipt and thank you Phillip for the quick response) and with a source for the R-12 secured, I'll be going back with original freon after rebuilding or replacing the york compressor, dryer and having the condenser and evap coils leak checked. Next will be the alternator/vac pump as that thing has got to be weak after having sat in Bozo's yard for seven years, but I"m glad he's a Bozo else I wouldn't have wound up with it:)

To conclude; I replaced the master/slave on the clutch, master on the brakes, all hoses/belts/fuels lines/filters/water pump/boiled the fuel tank to get rid of any algae issues/new radiator reservoir/. Didn't have the radiator rodded out but will if any thing arises.

One other thing before I go; I had trouble getting fuel to the injectors after having them rebuilt which led to the DPC thread and the 'test' out of the manual. Did the test showing it failed and was looking things over before removing all my testing gear (what a tangle of gator clips and wires that was!) and had the key 'on' which was supposed to energize the dpc, when I was leaning over to reach part of my test gear my arm bumped the positive cable where it attaches to the battery and the dpc actuated!! lo and behold the only problem was the connection of the little ancillary wire that piggybacks along the main hot cable right there at the post, which obviously has something very important to do with the dpc:)!! Cleaned it and it's worked every time since.

Sorry to be lengthy but I feel like I've found a gem (I'm pumped, can you tell?) and will get some pix up at some point so the rest of you can salivate. Thanks again Al and Phil for the priceless help..............
"Let me control a nations currency and I care not who makes the laws" N.M Rothschild
Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

Not many things I can say this about, but you might be better off not messing with the vacuum pump. Nothing in there that would degenerate with age alone.
'82 standard cab 3 axle SD22 turbo
'89 int'l 9700 Cummins 444 (855 ci)
'29 HD FD export model
davef

Blue Smoke

Post by davef »

My brothers SD22 was blowing blue smoke and skipping for upwards of 20 min. after starting.

Turned out that the intake valve clearance was gone on 2 cylinders.

Being that he grew up in a bone yard and drove cars with solid lifters most of his life I took for granted that the big dummy would have adjusted the valves at least once before it hit 135,000 miles. Luck for him no valves burned!
billyg

update

Post by billyg »

replacing the valve stem seals and pump diaphragm fixed 90% of my problems, correctly setting IP timing using the drip method (thanks Al) out of the 1981 diesel manual fixed the rest (1983 manual didn't have the procedure), although it still bucks a little when started. not sure what else to do but wanted to update for others benefit.
asavage
Site Admin

Re: update

Post by asavage »

billyg wrote:1983 manual didn't have the procedure
That's correct: only the 1981 Diesel Supplement and 1982 FSM show the drip method of IP timing. The procedure is not mentioned in the 1982-83 combined FSM, nor in the 1983 FSM.

Thanks for pointing this out.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.