Diesel with Afterburner

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

philip
Deceased

Diesel with Afterburner

Post by philip »

I attended the recent International Truck Show in Los Angeles

These photos are of the newest 15 liter Caterpillar diesel. ALL THIS STUFF (turbos, liquid cooled EGR, air2air intercooler, exhaust afterburner, and soot coolector are all for ... smog.

And you think cars are complex.

Last edited by philip 17 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

Looks like a sparkplug in the last pic.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

Carimbo wrote:Looks like a sparkplug in the last pic.
Cuz it is! The Clean Gas Injection system has computer supervision. At ideal times for "passive cleaning" a small amount of diesel fuel is admitted into the afterburner, spark plug is operated to maintain flame, so that the soot trap downstream is "desooted" by the flame. Obviously OTR trucks pulling grades will "passively clean" quite often while local trash truck operation will seldom get the "passive cleaning" so .... at some threshold of back pressure differential, a CLEAN ME light on the dash comes ON. Head for the shop for a physical washing / exhange of the soot trap. Figure a couple hours of downtime and $500 minimum.

The upside to all this is recirculated exhaust gases are sourced AFTER the the afterburner, cooled, and then routed back to the air intake. The 'plus' is there are no abrasive particles in this exhaust ... unlike EGR found on all other EGR systems on earlier diesels and gasoline engines.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"