Leaking IP cover left side

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

wdenis

Leaking IP cover left side

Post by wdenis »

Hello from Alberta, Canada,

I am new to the forum and hope you will forgive any violations of the rules of protocol. I am glad to have found a group of like-minded people who share their love for Nissan's diesels and hope I can find answers to what I hope are minor problems. I noted a small leak (a drop every ten seconds) coming from the left had cover next to the oil filter, on the IP of my SD25. I attempted to tighten the 8mm. bolts but the leak persisted and I would like to know what is behind this cover before I attempt to remove it and replace the gasket if there is one there. I have a service manual for this engine but it gives no information on the innards of the IP and I want no surprises when I remove this cover. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Wayne.
1988 Nissan King Cab, total rebuild from an 84 sd25, 87 frame and 88 body now running on WVO and loving it.
wdenis

Post by wdenis »

Hello from Alberta, Canada,

I noted a small leak (a drop every ten seconds) coming from the left hand cover next to the oil filter, on the IP of my SD25. I attempted to tighten the 8mm. bolts but the leak persisted and I would like to know what is behind this cover nefore I attempt to remove it and replace the gasket if their is one there. I have a service manual for this engine but it gives no information on the innards of the IP and I want no surprises when I remove this cover. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Wayne.
1988 Nissan King Cab, total rebuild from an 84 sd25, 87 frame and 88 body now running on WVO and loving it.
TheDieseliminator

Post by TheDieseliminator »

Hi Wayne, welcome to the site. If you ever come across a good, used SD25 diesel engine with 5-speed trans up your way in Canada let me know. I'd possibly like to buy a package to install in a Nissan pickup down here in the States. I figured since they are a little more common with the SD25 in Canada you could keep an eye out for me. That is if one were to come up for sale just by itself and already out of the vehicle. Even in a junkyard or salvage yard possibly stored in a warehouse for some time. I'd possibly like to buy one if I knew of one for sale. Thanks.

Salvy
1982 Datsun Maxima diesel wagon w/ 228k miles
*occasional daily driver*

1982 Datsun Maxima diesel sedan w/ 252k miles
*now off the road as a parts car and sent to the yard :( *
asavage
Site Admin

Re: leaking IP cover left side

Post by asavage »

Hello, Wayne:
wdenis wrote:I noted a small leak (a drop every ten seconds) coming from the left had cover next to the oil filter, on the IP of my sd25.
To give accurate information, we'll need to know which IP you have. Some SD25s have the Kiki-Diesel inline IP, and others use the Bosch VE IP.

The simplest way to know which is which is to look at where the injection lines exit the IP (click on pictures for larger).
  • If they come straight up and are in a row, that's the Kiki-Diesel "inline" IP.
  • If they come out the back and are in a square configuration, that's the Bosch VE IP. Something similar to this:
    Image Image
Which do you have?
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
wdenis

I/P Cover Leakage

Post by wdenis »

Thanks for the responses to my question.

First, the top photo is my I/P the KIKI Bosh although mine does not have the altitude compensator or air conditioning which makes accessing the cover that much easier. The cover I mentioned is on the left hand side behind the alt. compensator and I believe it has four 8mm bolts holding it in place. The big question, what is behind the plate and can I remove it to install a gasket to stop the leak?

Salvy,
As for other avaliable SD25 engines, the only ones I've seen are parts engines. I have only seen one other 88 Nissan with the diesel and this guy knows what he has and is not about to part with it. I have found this engine is very rare in these parts and I was fortunate to locate a fellow who will sell me one of the parts engines I mentioned. He does have a second engine for parts if that will be any help but as for anything in the complete engine/tranny mode I don't think I can be any help there. I did see an 86 Nissan with a complete SD22 engine and trans on his farm but never asked if it was for sale. If someone is interested I can make inquiries.

Thanks for the help, Wayne
asavage
Site Admin

Re: I/P Cover Leakage

Post by asavage »

wdenis wrote:The cover I mentioned is on the left hand side behind the alt. compensator and I believe it has four 8mm bolts holding it in place. The big question, what is behind the plate and can I remove it to install a gasket to stop the leak?
I don't have an exploded view of the Kiki-Diesel IP, and I admit I am not as familiar with it as others. However, Philip has a pic in this thread of the pneumatic governor diaphragm chamber:
Image.

(I am assuming that when you say "8mm bolt", you are referring to the bolt's head size across the flats -- normally, bolts are sized via their thread diameter, not head size.)

Does the bolt pattern in the pic above seem like the correct location for the cover you describe? If so, you've got problems. It's the pneumatic diaphragm cover:

If fuel is leaking from there, I think that you have both a leaking pneumatic diaphragm (easily replaced) and an internal IP fuel leak -- probably not so easily repaired. There is not normally fuel behind that diaphragm.
now running on WVO and loving it.
Not a great idea. See my thoughts on WVO. While the Kiki-diesel has a good durability reputation, it was not designed to pump or govern using acidic, viscous fluid.
Last edited by asavage 16 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
wdenis

I/P Cover

Post by wdenis »

asavage,

I see the cover you are referring to and realize I should have been more specific/accurate in my description. The cover is the one directly below the diaphram cover, sorry. Also you rightly point out that the bolt size I gave is incorrect in that I was referring to the socket size of about 8mm and not the threaded end. I have a habit of using this interchanged with the actual shaft size. So once again it is the lower cover I am referring to.

Your comments re: WVO are well taken and what I am doing is a complete filteratuion and dewatering regime and this has been tested to as near to perfectly pure as physically possible. We are using a centrifuge process that returns "store quality" oil. Then I have a shell and tube heat exchanger that gives me 175-180deg. F. to preheat the oil lowering the viscosity to the same as diesel. True enough, if I forget to purge the oil once in this Alberta weather I will have a serious start-up problem, so that mistake would be a no-no.

I have produced biodiesel and after putting a value on my time there doesn't seem to be that great a savings not to mention that the continued use of these chemicals probably has unknown side-effects which won't show up for years down the road but I don't need that kind of surprize.

Wayne, (Alberta, Can)
asavage
Site Admin

Re: I/P Cover

Post by asavage »

wdenis wrote:The cover is the one directly below the diaphram cover.
I don't have any information about what's under that cover; perhaps one of our more advanced members can contribute here?
We are using a centrifuge process that returns "store quality" oil.
While I don't know the particulars of your processing regime, a centrifuge is not going to change the pH of the result.
. . . if I forget to purge the oil once in this Alberta weather I will have a serious start-up problem . . .
Aside from starting (enough heat, and it will start), leaving acidic "fuel" in the IP and injectors is not going to do them any good.

However, if you must run WVO, the Kiki-Diesel is a forgiving IP and one of the best choices, so I've read.

You may want to invest US$25 in the Bosch Inline IP manual.
Regards,
Al S.

wdenis

I/P Manual

Post by wdenis »

asavage,
thanks for the tip on the manual I will check it out. by what is the worst that can happen if i removed that cover for inspection?

wayne.
asavage
Site Admin

Re: I/P Manual

Post by asavage »

wdenis wrote:what is the worst that can happen if i removed that cover for inspection?
Presumably you can run the engine now, though it makes a mess. At least it's mobile. If you remove the cover without having a replacement gasket or o-ring, you won't even have that mobility.

Let me see if I can can come up with better info. I was hoping that Philip would chime in here.
Regards,
Al S.

wdenis

Post by wdenis »

asavage.

Actually the mess is minimal, a few drops a min. but I was afraid there might be air getting in as a result. The gasket itself is no problem I.ve made many and added gasket goo sparingly and have never had a leak.

Wayne
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Air intrusion should not be a problem, as the IP housing is pressurized, not under vacuum.

Never use sealant on an IP where fuel may touch it.

Philip has some Kiki-Diesel IP scans . . . I'm hoping he chimes in.
Regards,
Al S.

pbknowles

Post by pbknowles »

Oh, THAT cover...I thought you meant the one on the side where the lift pump is. Actually I do know what is under that cover, having just had mine off. Under there you will find a flywheight governor and preload spring assembly, which is adjusted by the "smoke screw" in the back of same cover. You can remove it with no problem. It has a gasketed joint. All the bits will want to fall out though if you are careful it should be OK....I did mine on the bench though.
SD22 powered '85 Chevy S-10