WARNING - Clean your strut spring seats!!!

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

glenlloyd

WARNING - Clean your strut spring seats!!!

Post by glenlloyd »

Hey all
Same day I got my Maxima wagon home I was washing / cleaning the car in the drive. I had thoroughly cleaned in the wheel arches and hosed down the strut spring seats trying to get what I thought was gravel, out of there. Well, shortly after I began waxing the car I heard a terrible thump from the front...and well I just knew that one of the spring seats had busted.

This is what I found...so, be sure and keep those clean! Needless to say it forced me to replace both. The one hadn't broken yet but it was rusted through in a few spots and ready to go. I was lucky to find a Max with good strut housings in a u-pull it yard near me.

sa
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

This is why I don't miss snow or it's byproduct - salt.
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

goglio704 wrote:This is why I don't miss snow or it's byproduct - salt.
Yes, that is part of it, but clearly someone never stuck a hose in there to wash out the small bits of gravel that were blocking the albeit small drain holes.

Personally, I can do without the snow too, and this winter has so far been a blessing for that here in Iowa! I waxed one of my cars last night after dark with light from my yard light, it was that warm out.

SA

zim - silence!
diesel-man
Deceased

Post by diesel-man »

Well, they are not skimping on salt an your roads. I would look your brake lines over next, down the side and across the differential. I bought a few cars at a local auto auction 15 yrs ago and some of them came from New England...rusty. The rear bumper on Pop's 83 wagon is just holding on for show...rust. Pistonring's (my brother) 82 wagon lost a rear spring perch to rust, it was funny looking going down the road the last year or two.

Pop set up a used oil spray system on his wagon. He rigged up two plastic quart oil bottles (one near the master cylinder the other near the Trans. dipstick) Each one was hung upside down in place with wire, with what is now the top cut out to fill with used oil. A small tube was cut into the screw on lid hanging down a little ways.... Pop would put about a half quart in each side and then go on his trip (wherever he was going) usually down the Interstate so that the air going under the car would spray the oil all over the underside of the car, to lubricate everything everywhere. Still waiting for EPA approval on that one :lol:

Pop says if you could only dip a new car in oil...
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

goglio704 wrote:This is why I don't miss snow or it's byproduct - salt.
You know, it's even worse now that they've started to use the salt slurry spray. I don't know the technical term they use for it but it's heavy duty liquid salt, and they have begun to use it liberally here in Iowa. I've heard that it's even more harsh than the standard road salt.

Steve A

zim - silence!
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

same in some areas of new york, the liquid salt sprays up when it rains and gets in every nook and cranny of cars.
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012