rear suspension bushing

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I have done it both ways. Usually, I can't fit the metal sleeve that comes with the kit, over whatever it would need to fit over. One time I made my own sleeve from suitable material, another time I was able to make the sleeve work, and a couple of times I didn't use the sleeve at all. I've also had to take the rubber parts to a bench grinder and reduce the OD more than once -- makes an unforgettable smell.

With suitable thick flat washers and enough torque, the rubber bits will deform enough to give a reasonable fit, enough so it doesn't clunk any more. It's not the most professional of repairs, but it's a lot easier (and cheaper) than replacing the struts, and can buy you a couple of years. Not you, Kassim, of course: you drive down potholed dirt roads and ford raging creeks, for you these will only last months :roll:
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Yes thats true, my sedan sees more dirt in a month than what most SUV's see in a decade.

I noticed another motormite product, its a strut bushing and it looks closer to the bushing that I have.

Its the motormite 31010.

'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I didn't know that the Maxima's bushing had parallel faces. Use what works best. I didn't mean to imply that I had used these universal bushings for repair of a Maxima's suspension.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

kassim503 wrote:If I change out the struts the rear end wont drop to the flooor when i step on the gas right? Sometimes you can get it to hit the bump stops
Not necessarily. The rear squats like that on IRS cars because of the directional torsion to the rear wheels. The rear differential, which is fixed in position turns the driveshafts but because the wheels don't react as quickly the the suspension squats down instead. OTOH your rear springs could be shot too.

sa
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

glenlloyd wrote:\ OTOH your rear springs could be shot too.

sa
Not could be, it is shot. I know it for a fact that they have hit the end of their service life and then some. Only reason why I havnt opted for new springs is that they are expensive.

Also while going around looking for answers, I foudn that the datsun 280z springs are the same in the maxima. No wonder why they collaspe so easy

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

kassim503 wrote:Also while going around looking for answers, I foudn that the datsun 280z springs are the same in the maxima. No wonder why they collaspe so easy
I wonder about the 300zx springs...could they be a better candidate?

sa
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

japanese IRS nissan tend to have light springs and high gas charge in the shocks.this gives nice ride but it sqats.have a good lock at spec sheets as the coil dia is very standard.

australian 910 bluebird only use live rear axle similar to the 4 link wagon but with the coil over shock that you have on the sedan.the live rear axle by design lifts the rear on takeoff.the original australian shocks had little if any gas charge.

With my R30,R31 skyline,it uses the same suspension layout as the maxima,I purchased a set of R30 sedan monroes GTgas[AUST] with King springs from a wrecker,$40..these are to suit the heavier R30 hatchback or the sedan R31.when i fitted them to the 4 door hardtop R31 it is 100-200 KG heavier.i used the live rear axle shock and modified the lower bush.

from the bush to the spring seat on live axle and heavier models is 1 inch longer to get the same ride hieght lost through the extra wieght.the aust spring seat is not wielded to the shock so you add spacers on top of the shock.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

davehoos wrote:the aust spring seat is not wielded to the shock so you add spacers on top of the shock.
That gave me an idea. Last year I replaced the shot KYBs on my car with Monroes. The bottom spring seat on the Monroes is also not welded to the shock, unlike the KYBs. You just set the seat on the shock, then the spring, etc. on top of that when assembling. You can adjust its rotational orientation so the end of the spring sits correctly in the seat's depression.

If one needs to compensate for sagging springs (temporarily?) until parts or funds become available, one might be able to add washers or additional spacers between the shock/lower spring seat to gain some lift. Need to make sure it would not bind the rod in its movement in and out of the shock, and that the spring seat should still remain stable. Probably would also lose some compression travel or might otherwise cause binding so experiment at your own risk.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Carimbo wrote:
davehoos wrote:the aust spring seat is not wielded to the shock so you add spacers on top of the shock.
That gave me an idea. Last year I replaced the shot KYBs on my car with Monroes. The bottom spring seat on the Monroes is also not welded to the shock, unlike the KYBs. You just set the seat on the shock, then the spring, etc. on top of that when assembling. You can adjust its rotational orientation so the end of the spring sits correctly in the seat's depression.

If one needs to compensate for sagging springs (temporarily?) until parts or funds become available, one might be able to add washers or additional spacers between the shock/lower spring seat to gain some lift. Need to make sure it would not bind the rod in its movement in and out of the shock, and that the spring seat should still remain stable. Probably would also lose some compression travel or might otherwise cause binding so experiment at your own risk.
That works, but to a certain extent, if sombody put washers in there to raise the susupension itll help but if sombody stuffs too many washers in there, under full compression the spring would stop the suspension from traveling up, not the bump stop. Thats a no good. Otherwise itll work great, but you cant put too many in so the spring actually stops the suspension under full compression.

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

the spring seat and bump stop are the one item.
adding washers alters both at the same amount.Very few of my cars have a bump stop as they are made from a foam product that decomposes.some cars I used a shock rubber.if the car is crashing on the bumpstop i think serious about new coils.

910 bluebird rear coil specs.[guideline as they use a range of individual setting.wire DIA 13 mm ,outside dia 100 mm,free length 335mm,
spring constant 29-49 N/mm.
R31 initial release,uprated at a later date due to rear end draging and drive line noise.
wire dia 10.5-11.7,dia 100mm free length 380.5mm,contant 18-33.3N/mm
234mm at 275 KG.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

Aren't those bushings between the shocks and the trailing arms tapered?

Maybe that's on the 300zx but I could swear they are.

Also.............the pickup point on a 280zx rear arm is 1 inch different than the one on the maxima.........cannot remember if it's higher or lower but that might help somebody out.
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

HowlerMonkey wrote:Aren't those bushings between the shocks and the trailing arms tapered?
Tapered, yes because the shock absorber lower mount (extending from rear of trailing arm at an angle) is conical-shaped.

Some mentioned possibly substituting 280z or 300zx springs for those in the Maxima IRS. Best to compare the specs to avoid undesired results.

From 1982 Maxima FSM
IRS coil rear springs specs:

Wire diameter mm (in) 11.5 (0.453)
Coil diameter mm (in) 100 (3.94)
Free Length mm (in) 386.5 (15.22)
Effective turns 8.45
Spring constant N/mm (kg/mm, lb/in) 19.6 (2.0, 112)

Does anyone have specs for the 300zx? 280z?
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

HowlerMonkey wrote: Also.............the pickup point on a 280zx rear arm is 1 inch different than the one on the maxima.........cannot remember if it's higher or lower but that might help somebody out.
Itll be higher, so if you used it the rear end will be in the stratosphere
Which might be good so itll compensate for the super worn out springs

You cvan have the rear end in the air like how people set up their novas in the 70's, remember? Cool!

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Or lower, the maxima would have it higher while the z car has it lower

227K SOLD 6/7/2012