Login problems, favicon, redirects

News & discussion about the forum's server, hardware, software, upgrades, features, etc.

Moderator: Nissan_Ranger

asavage
Site Admin

Login problems, favicon, redirects

Post by asavage »

Sorry for the past three days, it's been awful here too.

1) Updating the forum phpBB software from 2.0.18->2.0.19 was a lot more work than I expected. However, it does seem to have fixed the login problem I'd been seeing. Please let me know if login problems persist.

Avatars were "lost" briefly, but are now "found" again.

2) Virtual hosting finally fixed. I kicked Apache hard enough (or maybe it kicked me!) so that the virtual domain "nissandiesel.dyndns.org" is finally working. Unfortunately, that broke the legacy link of "nissandiesel.dyndns.org/phpBB2/index.php" and I had to go through three hours of hoops to get the mod_rewrite module loaded plus the correct rewrite rules. Seems to work now, both old and new links go to the same page, plus you don't have to have the filename spec'd on the URL anymore (it's optional now).

3) favicon.ico -- Well, I'm not sure, but I *think* it's working. If you use FireFox or a very late SeaMonkey or perhaps a late beta Mozilla, <Shift-Reload> should get you the new (old, really) favicon in your bookmarks and tabs. Works here.

If you're using IE, all bets are off, as it handles favicons differently, and I can't seem to get a clean refresh though the proxy server here, and I'm not willing to clear the proxy's cache just to beat my head against this further. You IE users, try deleting the bookmark, clearing the history and cache, then dump the recycle bin, reboot, and then re-bookmark the site. If it's worth the hassle . . . it might reload the favicon.ico correctly. Or not.

I'm gonna go play now . . .
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.