SD22 starting problem plz help!!!!!

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

Williams

SD22 starting problem plz help!!!!!

Post by Williams »

Ok, I have got a problem with turning my car on and off and its real hard to explain but theres a rod on the left side of the block which should switch to either turn it on or off. I have these photos of the rod
You can notice the different possitions the rods in but i have to do this manually by touching two leads to the battery everytime i want to turn the car off =(.
If anyone knows anything on this my msn is sick_fest689@hotmail.com

Thanks Zac
Datsun 720 Pickup
zen

Post by zen »

do a search for dpc (controller)
turbo it

(sd33t home turbo set up if anyone is interested..)
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Please read the DPC Module & Injection Pump Controller thread

I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "i have to do this manually by touching two leads to the battery everytime i want to turn the car off ".

The most common DPC/IPC problem is a failed relay in the DPC Module (details in that thread above), followed by worn or missing plastic bushings on the rod between the IP lever and the IPC motor. Sometimes the IPC motor craps out too.

There is a IPC test procedure in the Factory Service Manual, which I've reproduced (details in that thread above). If the IPC motor passes those tests, it's likely that your DPC module has failed, but there are other reasons why the DPC system won't work; we'll need more details to help.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
Williams

Post by Williams »

Easiest way to show what I mean by manually is this picture

I've got the leads stashed up the back to be out the way but, by touching one on each terminal I can rotate the connecting rod to positions 1, 2, and 3. So after reading the other topic I'm assuming it's the DPC. So once I have time I'll check the relay and board since its never been replaced in 180k miles, so thanks for all the help.

Zac
Datsun 720 Pickup
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

Williams wrote:-SNIP- So after reading the other topic I'm assuming it's the DPC. So once I have time I'll check the relay and board since its never been replaced in 180k miles, so thanks for all the help.

Zac
USA Nissan charges almost $200. How much $$$ in Australia?
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
Williams

Post by Williams »

For the whole unit the only place i found to get it was japan and they want 700$$ for it so im going to see about trying to fix it first before going to that extreme lol.

Zac
Datsun 720 Pickup
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

Al mentions a 'reasonable' new DPC module ($184 USD). Nismo Parts. You'll have to email or call and ask if this part is still available and mailing price to Australia.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

And, if the relay has failed, it can be replaced.
Williams

Post by Williams »

Thanks for all the help i had a quick look at it yesturday the relay looks old but not worn and tested the diodes many which failed so next thing is to take the components out to re test them so if its not the dpc i really dont know whats wrong. I have one question which is.. If i can move the position of the injection pump lever by touching those two leads (picture in preious post) on the battery does that mean the controller is fine and is an electrical problem on the dpc side of the circuit?

Zac
Datsun 720 Pickup
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Williams wrote:If i can move the position of the injection pump lever by touching those two leads (picture in preious post) on the battery does that mean the controller is fine and is an electrical problem on the dpc side of the circuit?
No. The internal contacts in the IPC motor gearcase may be fouled. Use the factory test procedure outlined at the link I provided above -- it's a couple of pages into the thread. Using that test, you can certify that the IPC is not the problem -- or that it is.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

Williams wrote:Thanks for all the help i had a quick look at it yesturday the relay looks old but not worn and tested the diodes many which failed so next thing is to take the components out to re test them so if its not the dpc i really dont know whats wrong. I have one question which is.. If i can move the position of the injection pump lever by touching those two leads (picture in preious post) on the battery does that mean the controller is fine and is an electrical problem on the dpc side of the circuit?

Zac
While your DPC's cover is off, plug up both DPC to the harnass and plug up the Injection Pump Controller motor to its harnass. Now (with somebody else turning the ignition key) turn you ignition from OFF to ON ... wait for 5 seconds and then turn from ON to START for 2 seconds and release to ON. Notice the DPC's -relay-. It must contact and then release. Just because you think the relay looks sound does not mean it is electrially sound.

Another way is: Turn the ignition from OFF to ON. Now, unplug the small, 4 pin plug nex to the fire wall that leads to the transmission. Notice if the IP is rotated and stoped. Reconnect this plug ... the IP will rotate again. If not response and you see no movement in the DPC's little relay, you have confirmed the DPC or the relay is toast.

I've replaced three DPC so for ... with an external relay. Lot's cheaper too.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22