LD28 marine water drain plug

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

richard Novossiltzeff

LD28 marine water drain plug

Post by richard Novossiltzeff »

Hi all,
The marine version of the LD28 doesn't have a radiator only a heat exchanger, so I'm not sure if the engine is fitted with a drain plug. The manual says the fresh water should be flushed/cleaned and changed every 6 months/600hrs but nowhere does it say how to do that?
Anybody out there with that info?
Thanks
Richard
Albin27CS with LD28M
Nova Scotia Canada
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The block has a drain plug -- pretty good size -- left side rear (the side the starter is not on). Here's a blow-up of a pic of that side of the engine, and you can just make it out:

It sits at the lower end of water jacket, so it's the low point of the engine and the first time you pull it, a lot of crap comes out. It is installed very tight, so get a good-fitting socket and a breaker bar, and hold it square before applying torque, or you'll end up drilling it out when the corners round off.

The heat exchanger is the blue box at the front?

[click on images for larger)

Yeah, I'd drain at the block at the back. You might even want to install a valve back there, if you can find a compatible fitting. It's probably an odd size.
Last edited by asavage 17 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
richard Novossiltzeff

LD28M drain plug

Post by richard Novossiltzeff »

Great info, Al, thanks.
I'll get on to it and actually I might pass that on to the Albineers who have the Nissan since nobody answered my queery on the Albin site... could it be that nobody drains the engine?
Yes, the heat exchanger is the blue box in front, in the picture. The ½" black hose going down from it goes to the raw water pump which is a neoprene impeller type which is run by an "A" belt from the crankshaft pulley. The raw water goes through the exchanger and then goes through the exhaust to cool the gases and exits at the stern.
Happy motoring.
Richard
PS: did you get a copy of the marine maintenance manual?
asavage
Site Admin

Re: LD28M drain plug

Post by asavage »

richard Novossiltzeff wrote:PS: did you get a copy of the marine maintenance manual?
I had forgotten, after looking at his blog layout. I've just d/l'd it, and I'll get it on my list, to reassemble the pages he's got oddly chopped up. Thanks.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.