FS (WA): 1982 Maxima Wagon diesel (Al's personal car), SOLD

Buy it, sell it, negotiate, haggle, drag it out from under the workbench or behind the garage and make it someone else's problem!

Moderators: glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

asavage
Site Admin

FS (WA): 1982 Maxima Wagon diesel (Al's personal car), SOLD

Post by asavage »

You've seen it, now own it.

This is the Wagon that started it all for me, back in 1996. I bought it from the family of the original owner, it started out living in Pennsylvania and has rust issues but runs and drives straight. It was my daily driver for years, then I sold it to a co-worker, bought it back three+ years later. It currently has less than 170k miles on it. A/C works, tires and battery are not antique. It could use the GP bus replaced (new Steve Addy bus upgrade included with car) and the valve cover gasket replaced (also included).

The car has three dents: one on the top/front of the left front fender (present when I bought it), the hood is rippled from somebody sitting on it (co-worker did that one) and a light/shallow sideswipe at the right rear quarter near the bumper wrap-around. A very good hood comes with the car, if you want it.

The paint is original and the clearcoat is just awful. But no rust-through of the paint. Rockers are holy. See the link above for some of the rust-fixed pictures.

Runs very well, does smoke under load. Gets 26-31 MPG consistently, uses NO oil between 4k oil changes (using AMSOil 10W30 synthetic oil). AT oil recently flushed, recent brakes all around, park brake does work (not common on the Wagons), radio is only fair, power antenna is no longer powered. Driver's side window was vandalized (broken and replaced) during co-worker's reign and the forward channel rubber has slipped out of place, so the driver's window will only roll down partway. The usual door cracks have been fixed. Will peg the speedo easily. Comes with a stack of receipts you'll have to see to believe. Cruise control works well, etc.

The IP leaked at one time but hasn't in about a year. The IP belt and OEM tensioner were replaced about 15k ago.

This is not a pretty car. It is a runner/driver right now though, and could be pressed into daily driver service with no work at all. It has served me well, but gets driven almost never these days. I'm constantly finding rodents in the traps I set. It's time it got used more.

With the sale of this Wagon, I will no longer have need for my vast collection of Maxima/LD28 parts, and I'll be offering them up here to all and sundry. Stay tuned for a list.
Last edited by asavage 14 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I am very motivated to sell this Wagon at the moment. While I would hate to see it chopped up for the engine (as I've kept it all in working condition over the years), the reality is that right now I will take ANY reasonable offer for this Wagon. I have bills to pay and cannot afford to stand on principle.

This Wagon drives straight, good tires, recent brakes and IP belt etc. Drive it cross country? I would, for reliability (if not for comfort).

I will be sad to see it go, it has been family for a long time, but go it must.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I was just laid off, after working for two months @ one-day-per week.

I'll accept $700 for this Wagon. Drive it anywhere.
Regards,
Al S.

83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

Geez Al...sorry to hear.

This is a steal, considering I sold my other LD28 for $650.

I hope someone takes you up on this quick.
djphillips85

Nissan Maxima

Post by djphillips85 »

I'll take you up on that offer... I like rare diesel cars.
DMS

Post by DMS »

Hey Al would you email me?

Im wanting to get back into a LD, but this time I want the whole car. I got a family to hule around to school and what not.

Hell give me a call. Even if you ended up selling this last year maybe you have some parts laying around that I may need. Ive been looking at a few wagons lately. I have a post about it in the pedal and procure.

ray 831-402-5387
Ray
vicmason

Post by vicmason »

Al, what does this mean for your role as moderator of this forum? Will you continue as the invaluable mentor you've been for so many? It's kind of sad that it's the end of an era for you, it seems.

Anyway, I too am trying to sell my Maxima (see a couple of posts below your ad). Maybe someone will want both our cars, since they are fairly proximate to each other. My sedan could be a source of parts for your wagon, for instance.

The price on my '83 sedan is negotiable, so c'mon someone, here's your chance for a package deal!
Victoria Mason
Kenmore, WA
1983 Nissan Maxima diesel (SOLD 2/19/10)
1982 Mazda B2200 diesel (for sale)
1986 Ford F250 turbodiesel (for sale)
1971 VW Squareback gasser (for sale)
1996 VW Passat TDI wagon
1952 GMC bookmobile gasser
DMS

Post by DMS »

I hope he continues to support this forum even when he sells this car.
Ive been showing the pictures of Al's car to my wife and she isnt convinced as a car it is worth $700. Im all for it. So Im working on buying it. We will see.

I spoke with a friend of mine about the Sedan. I saw it was only a few hours north of Al's. I have a universal tow bar and lights. He sounded interested in the sedan as a whole car and I would help him install a 5spd. My original plan before I spoke with Al was that I might be able to make a road trip up there from Ca with my buddy that is interested in the sedan. Al is willing to drive it or tow the car down to me though is I can come to an agreement with my wife.

Ray
Ray
vicmason

Post by vicmason »

Hey, DMS, what a great idea! Glad to hear the wheels are turning. As far as convincing your wife, why not try flowers and candy? :wink:

Kenmore is quite near Seattle, at the top of Lake Washington; and is one ferry ride and almost two hours southeast of Port Townsend, a beautiful area.

I don't want to hijack Al's thread here, so see my post for a link to pictures of the sedan.
Victoria Mason
Kenmore, WA
1983 Nissan Maxima diesel (SOLD 2/19/10)
1982 Mazda B2200 diesel (for sale)
1986 Ford F250 turbodiesel (for sale)
1971 VW Squareback gasser (for sale)
1996 VW Passat TDI wagon
1952 GMC bookmobile gasser
DMS

Post by DMS »

Deal in the Works.

Got the go from the wife. We really need a second car.

There is an 82 sedan in PNP with good interior right now.

Hopefully one of the next few weekends we can complete the transaction.

Ray
Ray
DMS

Post by DMS »

Deal in the Works.

Got the go from the wife. We really need a second car.

There is an 82 sedan in PNP with good interior right now.

Hopefully one of the next few weekends we can complete the transaction.

Ray
Ray
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I sold this Wagon to Ray & his wife, and I hope that the fun continues for all of them.

I don't hang out here anymore, but the site will stay up as long as I continue to host my various hobby websites; they're all hosted from my own server at home, over residential DSL service, and I've been doing this continuously since 1997 when DSL was first available in Bellingham, Wash.
Regards,
Al S.

TheDieseliminator

Post by TheDieseliminator »

Hey Al, long time no talk with you as I myself have not been online here as much as I'd been in the past. I had actually taken my car off the road early to mid winter 2008 as it was getting to be just too far gone. And I guess hence the reason why I didn't frequent the forum as much as I have had in the past. Always one of my favorite diesel or vehicle forums online though and want to thank you for creating it and keeping it up for everyone. I'm surprised to hear you don't hang out here that much either as you were always on and replying to help anyone out with questions they had with the cars or engines period. Congrats on the sale of your car and I myself hope to keep the engine going out of my car maybe swapping it into a 280z (as I've always dreamed to do).

Sal
1982 Datsun Maxima diesel wagon w/ 228k miles
*occasional daily driver*

1982 Datsun Maxima diesel sedan w/ 252k miles
*now off the road as a parts car and sent to the yard :( *