Ben Martin's 83 Maxima Gasser Sedan

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

83_maxima

Ben Martin's 83 Maxima Gasser Sedan

Post by 83_maxima »

I am attaching pics of my Maxima gasser sedan, even though it's not a diesel. I'll post pics of that when I find it!

My car is an 83, gasser sedan with 168,xxx original miles. 5-speed conversion (from an 84 sedan) and rear-end swap for a 4.11 out of an 85 200sx. Aside from the stiffer rear springs and the seats from an 87 Max, it is pretty much stock.

She has been in my family since 1986, when we purchased it used in Colorado Springs. It was purchased new in 83 in Hawaii.

Pretty good body with some minor rusting of the rear quarter panels and the rockers. Small surface rust here and there, some areas need more attention than others. Someone also took it over a parking curb before I received it. The rocker area did not like that. :(

But overall...she's a great car, and I drive her every day!

Enjoy!

-Ben
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

do you have high performance wires?

also does your intake suck in water when it rains, cause mine did until i put half of the snorkel on

overall its a really nice car, it dosent really have alot of rust on it and it looks like you have all the centercaps
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

Yes. Those are NGK "high-performance" wires. The construction quality is so much better than anything you can find at your FLAPS.

I have never had a problem with the snorkel sucking in water when it rains, but then again, it doesn't rain much around here. I used to always have the snorkel on, but took it off while I was working on it for the past month or so. Just never put it back on - it's in the trunk.

It doesn't have too much rust, but it has enough. :( I do have all of the center caps because I ordered NOS pieces from Nissan like 5 years ago. I think they were like $12.00 each back then. They really finish the look of the wheels.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I was able to pick up NOS two center caps off eBay two years ago, for something like $3 each, but it appears that the dealer gets about $19 ea. now (and I need seven of them) [shrug].

On the diesel, the ambient noise level is much higher with the snorkel removed. Of course, you have to remove it to do anything with the belts.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

I like the high performance wires, they really bring out the power in the coil and it means i could widen my plug gap for more power.

The dealership here runs the caps for 25 dollars a piece, and i would need 3 of them so getting them are just out of the question.
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

Be careful widening that gap. I am using the NGK BPR611-ES resistor-type plugs and the NGK resistor wires.

I have heard that this combination (when used in conjunction with the stock coil) can cause incomplete combustion in cyls 5 and 6 if you are using the stock .040 plug gap. I have taken mine down to .028 to compensate for the combination. Just something I heard from a Z-Car guy and thought it might have been a contributing factor to a fouling problem I was having on 5 and 6 (turned out not to be the problem).

Let me look around and see what I can find out about the supplier of the caps. I found them online. They came from Dallas and I bought them at wholesale. I have a couple more lying around that I bought "just in case." I will take a look around this week and see if I can find out where they came from. I didn't just walk into the parts dept and ask. If they could even get them, I would expect to pay about $25 a pop.
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

asavage wrote:I was able to pick up NOS two center caps off eBay two years ago, for something like $3 each, but it appears that the dealer gets about $19 ea. now (and I need seven of them)
For some reason they're snatched quickly at the JY. The two gen 1 Maximas in Des Moines have four wheels between them, one nicely curbed, but no caps at all.

steve a
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!