Oil light after start-up

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

mbtech208

Oil light after start-up

Post by mbtech208 »

How long does your oil pressure warning light stay on after start-up? Mine stays on for about 5 seconds, warm or cold. It doesn't sound that long, but it seems like forever when it's glaring in my face. Is this normal? Oil viscosity doesn't seem to affect it. All my other cars turn off the oil pressure light within a second after start-up.
-Dave

Owner of Car and Driver's '83 Maxima "Diesel Beater" 247,000 miles

2003 Dodge Intrepid Police Package
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Both of mine are in the four second range (LD28). Does seem a long time, doesn't it?

The oil pump can be removed and replaced pretty easily, only removing the plastic lower shroud and the pump's retaining bolts. I've got an NOS pump I bought off of eBay a couple of years ago, and I've entertained the notion of removing the pump for inspection.

There doesn't seem to be an oil pressure spec on this engine available.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

filling up the oil filter time.??

you can adjust the pressure reg if the gears are not worn out.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

Anybody else experience this oil pressure delay at startup?
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

I think my light stays on about 4 secs or so. Depends on temperature some and how long it's sat.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
windsock

Post by windsock »

yep, 3-4 seconds before both the light goes out and 45-50 psi appears on the dial. If the odometer of the donor car is to be believed, this motor has now done a bit over 200,000 kilometres.

On start-up after it has been sitting for a number of hours, it is interesting to note the pressure on the gauge fluctuates in the first 15-20 seconds of run time as (what I assume is) all the oil cavities being filled and pressurised. Sometimes there is a drop of between 5-10 psi before the pressure regains stability. Slightly higher revs (idle+200-300rpm) speeds this process up.

15W-50 Penrite Diesel oil. Morning ambient temperature these days is around 10 Deg Celcius.

It'd be good to hear of what other oil specs people use and their temperatures etc.

Cheers,

Phil
Good roads lead to bad fishing.
kossak

Post by kossak »

In my case the oil light goes out after ~2 seconds after start up for cold starts and less that a second for hot starts. I've noticed that it goes out even faster right after an oil change.
Morning starts are at ~10-15 deg Celsius in this season. I always use 10W40 oil, even in wintertime.
'86 Nissan Laurel LD28 AT
1982810maximadiesel

Post by 1982810maximadiesel »

My 1982 Maxima when cold takes about 3 to 4 seconds also I have been using rotella t6 synthetic 5w 40 or mobiil 1 turbo diesel truck 5w 40 since i had 140k miles.

im right around 370k miles

i did have it flicker one day i was traveling up a steep mountain with towing only for a a second