Injection pump and general info

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

TheDieseliminator

Re: Injection pump and general info

Post by TheDieseliminator »

shark wrote:The injection pump is leaking a lot. I can not see the actual leak but it flows down around the sides at the rear of the pump.
Hey shark, and welcome to the site. I have the same or similar style leak that you describe on my engine's injection pump. It starts on the sides and then leaks toward the rear. I believe that the whole injection pump would need to be removed to fix our diagnosis of a fuel leak. I checked out the area when I changed the oil about 2 months ago and could not see any hoses leaking or even an easy fix to stop it. Looks like it would be a good idea to get the pump rebuilt with these Viton seals. Can you get the pump rebuilt with all new Viton seals or is it just one seal that will be Viton? You'll spend in the $300-400 range to get the pump rebuilt and as much as I want to I can't afford it this soon. It sucks because I believe I'm getting 31-32 solid mpg in the car and it could be even better without that pesky leak. I hate the idea of it leaking because I know I could hit a new high record for the amount of miles gone on a full fuel tank. My current record is 490.6 miles on one tank and I know I can do better.

Salvy
1982 Datsun Maxima diesel wagon w/ 228k miles
*occasional daily driver*

1982 Datsun Maxima diesel sedan w/ 252k miles
*now off the road as a parts car and sent to the yard :( *
shark

Post by shark »

30+ mpg sounds great! I was only expecting a max of around 27 from the stock info I saw. How bad is your leak? Sitting in the drive running mine is a constant fast drip, possibly just shy of a stream. I hope it is a hose or fitting that I just can not see.

Do you get a shutter when the engine is turned off? My only comparison is our TDI beetle.
1983 Maxima diesel
2002 VW Bug TDI canary yellow (Wife's car)
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

shark wrote:30+ mpg sounds great!
I've gotten only slightly better, 33 mpg, with 3 spd auto trans.
shark wrote:Do you get a shutter when the engine is turned off? My only comparison is our TDI beetle.
It's dramatically different from the TDI. I have a 97 Jetta TDI with the AHU engine, which doesn't sound the same as your ALH powered Beetle, but even the 97 shuts down without all the hoopla of the Maxima.

steve a
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
TheDieseliminator

Post by TheDieseliminator »

shark wrote:30+ mpg sounds great! I was only expecting a max of around 27 from the stock info I saw. How bad is your leak? Sitting in the drive running mine is a constant fast drip, possibly just shy of a stream. I hope it is a hose or fitting that I just can not see.
Last time I observed the leak I found it leaked a drop of fuel about once every 8 seconds. It may drip quicker now and I'd need to check for any changes. My fuel leak is definitely at the rear and I'm sure it will get worse before better. :x
shark wrote:Do you get a shutter when the engine is turned off? My only comparison is our TDI beetle.
It doesn't shudder but it will make the lugging noise most every diesel engine makes when being turned off. This is moreso true on heavier, larger diesel engines that have such a large mass of internal engine parts to slow down and then completely stop.
1982 Datsun Maxima diesel wagon w/ 228k miles
*occasional daily driver*

1982 Datsun Maxima diesel sedan w/ 252k miles
*now off the road as a parts car and sent to the yard :( *
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Would you believe that some MB diesels have an "anti-shudder valve" for shutdown?
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

asavage wrote:Would you believe that some MB diesels have an "anti-shudder valve" for shutdown?
I had heard this although I wasn't sure if the 76 300 D I had had one or not. I'm sure my MB pre-dates any of that.

I'm interested in more information on the oxidation catalyst that MB has been using on some of their diesels. I haven't done a lot of digging yet but one of these days I will. I know that VW used a catalyst of some type on the short-lived 91/92 ECOdiesel Jetta (total of like 720 built) but that's not the same as an oxidizer. Equally, the TDI powered cars have a catalyst too.

sa
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!