Pressurized oil line

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

TooManyIdeas

Pressurized oil line

Post by TooManyIdeas »

Is line that goes from the vaccum pump to the block a pressurized line and what is the thread size on the block. Since the rest of the truck is metric, I'm confused wether or not the pipe threads are American or not
82 Datsun 720 King Cab Diesel - FOR SALE !!!!
85 Chevy Monte Carlo CL
90 Toyota Pickup -SOLD
05 Kia Spectra 5
02 Dodge Dakota Quadcab
-OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH YEAH!!!!!
philip
Deceased

Re: Pressurized oil line

Post by philip »

TooManyIdeas wrote:Is line that goes from the vaccum pump to the block a pressurized line and what is the thread size on the block.
SD22 Oil Circuitry

Pressure from the secondary oil gallery (pressurized) feeds the vacuum pump. Never thought to measure the pipe thread when I had a new braided line made using the old ends.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

Oil ports are 1/8 NPT. That's American. One on the left side for the vacuum pump, one on the right rear for the sender, and one on the right front for the IP. There is also a plugged one just behind the right motor mount that is good, but a bit of a tight squeeze with the mount. There is a plug on the left side just above the starter, but that is the coolant drain for the block.
'82 standard cab 3 axle SD22 turbo
'89 int'l 9700 Cummins 444 (855 ci)
'29 HD FD export model
TooManyIdeas

Thank you

Post by TooManyIdeas »

I've been asking everyone I know about the thread pitch for those fittings I appreciate your replies
82 Datsun 720 King Cab Diesel - FOR SALE !!!!
85 Chevy Monte Carlo CL
90 Toyota Pickup -SOLD
05 Kia Spectra 5
02 Dodge Dakota Quadcab
-OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH YEAH!!!!!
redmondjp

Post by redmondjp »

I was thinking about this thread pitch last night, and I'm guessing that it's not NPT (National Pipe Thread), but rather BSP (British Standard Pipe), which is close enough that you can get away with using NPT and some sealer.

The reason I think this is that I used to work at a place where we used Kubota engines in our equipment and we installed VDO oil pressure gauges so we had to tap into the engine oil system. I did some research and found out that all Kubota engines use the BSP threads (we were using NPT fittings and were getting away with it).

Now why in the world would Japanese manufacturers use a British pipe thread? After WWII, both the US and Britain helped put Japan back on its feet, which included getting their industry back up and running. So Britain provided their own tooling to Japan and that started them using the BSP thread. OT but related to this--part of Japan has a 50-hz electrical system (the part rebuilt by Britain), and the rest has a 60-hz system like the U.S., to this day!
1982 Datsun 720 King Cab, SD22, 86K miles (sold)
1981 Rabbit LS 4-door, 1.6D, 130K miles (sold)
1996 Passat TDI 4-door sedan, 197K miles
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Yeah, 1/8" BSP is (from memory!) 28 TPI; NPT is 27 TPI. Pretty close, and I've put one in the other several times. Sealant (or brass fittings) is necessary for this interference fit to work.

I actually had those specs written in the lid of my toolbox for years. I think they're still there -- in storage.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

Confirmed.
'82 standard cab 3 axle SD22 turbo
'89 int'l 9700 Cummins 444 (855 ci)
'29 HD FD export model