eBay: LD20T turbo only in Australia

Buy it, sell it, negotiate, haggle, drag it out from under the workbench or behind the garage and make it someone else's problem!

Moderators: glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

asavage
Site Admin

eBay: LD20T turbo only in Australia

Post by asavage »

Auction 8036381163. Ends Feb-13-06 01:49:40 PST
This item is a turbo charger that came off a Nissan LD20T 4 cylinder turbo charged diesel. The flange to the bottom of the turbo will also be supplied.

It was a good running turbo and it was removed because it blew a head gasket and was too hard to get parts for.

This is a shed clearout!

Though it would be undersized, this would probably be a "bolt on" for the LD28. You'd have to fab the intake section of course.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
glenlloyd

Re: eBay: LD20T turbo only in Australia

Post by glenlloyd »

asavage wrote:Though it would be undersized, this would probably be a "bolt on" for the LD28. You'd have to fab the intake section of course.
So this thing would bolt directly to the existing exhaust manifold outlet? I always figured that I'd have to change exhaust manifolds in order to attach a turbo.

Size wise how does this unit compare with the KKK K24 units fitted to VW/Audi 5/6 cylinder TD engines? Peugeot used the K24 on some 2.5 four cylinder XD3T engines too. I think my 1.6 TD has a K24 too.

thx
steve a
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
asavage
Site Admin

Re: eBay: LD20T turbo only in Australia

Post by asavage »

glenlloyd wrote:So this thing would bolt directly to the existing exhaust manifold outlet?
Probably. If'n I was seriously interested, I might make the seller fax me a paper rubbing of it, but my suspicion is that Nissan uses the same mounting flange for the LD20 and LD28. But I admit that that's a guess, and no good way to verify in the US.
Size wise how does this unit compare with the KKK K24 units fitted to VW/Audi 5/6 cylinder TD engines? Peugeot used the K24 on some 2.5 four cylinder XD3T engines too. I think my 1.6 TD has a K24 too.
My turbo experience is from a long time ago, so I can't comment on this; it would just be pure conjecture.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

the turbo bolts on to a manifold with the standard rectangle 4 bolt flange.
the manifold is to suit.at the bottom you see a cast bracket that bolts to the engine mount bolts as a brace.the intake is very different as it joins strait onto the turbo in the center.

they are air reseach[garret?] make a lot of boost at low revs.
very common on Largo 4x4 coach[vanette/nomad].

for a LD28 use a L20AET,L28ET manifold and turbo..bit of grinding required,as the 2 manifolds are closer,the gas turbo has a steel pipe to go from the turbo to the throttle.most simpley modify or fabricate a pipe to use the original intake.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I asked the seller about shipping:
Thank you for your question. It would cost approx. AUD $300 to post via sea mail.
Regards

Sue
So that's right out.
Regards,
Al S.

davehoos

Post by davehoos »

the only cheep way to ship parts internationally is in container.
cubic meter of container space is cheep, finding somone to help is a problem.

i sent a crank to france,it was over $500 to send the 21 KG item.
it was thrown in with suspension parts sold by a 4x4 agent.almost no cost.

same deal here.i just shipped in a car,AU$3900,if i used a 20 ft container AU$5000 and can fill it up inside. 4 cubic meters,about 20%, was AU1800.

i love a 1983-4 maxima but the cost.
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

davehoos wrote:i love a 1983-4 maxima but the cost.
I do too, but I wish you guys drove on the same side of the road as we do so I could get a set of flush headlights for my Maxima from your neck of the woods. No one seems to have any used LHD headlights for 910 series, and I've combed all the usual Ebay targets.

steve a

zim - silence!
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

davehoos wrote:the turbo bolts on to a manifold with the standard rectangle 4 bolt flange.
That's what I figured, probably a generic attachment.

davehoos wrote:they are air reseach[garret?] make a lot of boost at low revs. very common on Largo 4x4 coach[vanette/nomad].
Garrett chargers are plentiful here as well, even moreso than KKK.
davehoos wrote:for a LD28 use a L20AET,L28ET manifold and turbo..bit of grinding required,as the 2 manifolds are closer,the gas turbo has a steel pipe to go from the turbo to the throttle.most simpley modify or fabricate a pipe to use the original intake.
That's what I thought, buy a 280z L28ET exhaust manifold and you have the correct mounting flange for the charger. The rest is just minor plumbing. A potential problem, as Al mentioned to me before, is the lack of a full LDA on the injection pump. One would have to examine the LD28 pump more closely to see whether a LDA from another VE pump could be retrofitted, or perhaps acquire a pump from the RD28T maybe?

steve a

zim - silence!
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

the top of the injector pump will changoverearly LD20T will go strait on and is the same..usa has altitude compensator?
the rd engine has allsorts of adjustments,my R31 has a lever on the side that is described as a altidude adjustment,but it is a do it your self adjustment.no anaroid..new engines are full electronic control,flybywire,aftermarket computors are available to run these.FLYBYWIRE LD20T.
i found that most will fit.but they do change over time.so a latter model or a different engine might be completely different.mostly the difference is the monting on the nose.nissan uses a 3 bolt pattern,most of the others use a 2 bolt idea.

IE some toyota tops will fit,mitubishi is similar if .the important thing is throttle shaft on the same side of the case.as toyota,isuzu,mitubishi etc are mostly on the left side of the engine.i see you have a pug,i dought that any of the case will be the same but a lot of european pumps have good features.look at the newer front drive pugs.most are on the left but they are on top in open area.

I have an early LD20T injector pump on a 1990 LD20II,they dont realy fit,the key in the front was different width,the shaft was similar but different.the length of the front was different.i used the timing gear-jammed on.it has never fell of but it could.

the rd timming gears are the same as the late LD20,early type rd has the the same square teeth.1990's has round teeth.

havnt seen how they worked but had an early sd22 and a landrover 110 county 3.9[isuzu 4BD1T] with a electronic controled LPG system.it had a boost sencor[MAP] and few other sencors that controlled gas mixture.
this is ideal for turbo as you add lpg with boost and hi-speed cruise.idle on the sd22 was diesel only.as it had the idle circuit removed.the 3.9 had electric idle control.the urvan had a full size lpg tank of 90 liters.it was a camper and was used for cooking.