Cetane Rating of Fuel--IDI Diesel Starting

Ongoing discussion of anything not related to Nissans or diesels.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

moose60

Post by moose60 »

Al,
No, I meant the injection event. Not ignition event. I'll look for the paper.

Yeah, I've also read several long term studies of BD on engines. I'd like to see similar studies done with differing injection timing, and a D2 control engine. I'm really curious about cylinder bore wear (I know about the high BD lubricity) in the real world, and the effects of BD in engines which may allow some lube oil contamination (older rings).

I have also heard anecdotal evidence that the listers do not like WVO for long periods. Those engines are supposed to last an amazingly long time (at least the original British ones). Listers with shorter lifes could be due to WVO or possibly Indian quality control.
Byron

82 Datsun 720 KC SD22

MPG Machine
moose60

found it

Post by moose60 »

linky to the document.
http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy03osti/31462.pdf

Info on injector opening time (effective timing) with different fuels, as well as the related propagation of a pressure wave through an injector line.

In section 5 Viscosity of fuels is briefly discussed, but was not studied.
Byron

82 Datsun 720 KC SD22

MPG Machine
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Thanks for the link; I'm pretty sure I skimmed through that one before, two years ago.

On page 5, the Abstract does say "injection timing" but I'm certain they are talking about the effective ignition point rather than the place in the cycle when the liquid is squirted out of the injector.

I admit that I am not spending any time tonight actually reading this thing: it's my bedtime, and I have a truck to scrap in the morning.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.