TheDieseliminator's 1982 Maxima diesel sedan

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

TheDieseliminator

TheDieseliminator's 1982 Maxima diesel sedan

Post by TheDieseliminator »

Well, here I am finally posting a few pictures up of my 82 Maxima diesel sedan I've owned since July 2003. Unfortunately the pictures aren't too great because I took them with a throw away camera you can buy at any grocery store. They were taken about a year and a half ago I'm pretty sure. Does anybody happen to know where I could buy a brand new digital camera that takes large, sharp, and clean photos but is still in the $50-75 range? I don't want to spend too much on one, but at the same time I'd like to take newer pics of my car to let you guys see. Plus under the hood pics of the current work I'm doing involving the cylinder head and radiator replacement (which I know Al wants to see). Obviously the pics I need to take require big size with detail and that's only achievable with a good digital camera. Here are 5 of the best pictures I can post at this time, enjoy:

In this picture you can see I have seat covers on the front two seats. The reason why is both of them are ripped and the yellow insides will get chewed up more the more you sit on them. I need to get replacement seats that are a light grey color from somewhere.

Here the rear seat is in pretty good shape. I never did clean it with a seat cleaner, but I think if I did it would look much better. Also, you can see a green towel that I have sitting on the top of the seat near the rear speakers. It has been ate out by the sun over the years, so that's why I cover it with the towel. I wonder if I could get it reuphoulstered?

Last edited by TheDieseliminator 18 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

I think the pics aren't working so well.

steve a
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
TheDieseliminator

Steve, thanks for letting me know they weren't showing up. I've only seen the little red "x" at the top left of each picture when I clicked on the thread a few minutes ago. I think I've fixed it but in case you still get the "x" instead of the picture try to right click on it and then click "show picture." I can see them, but it may not be fixed for sure.

Salvy
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Earlier, at work, I was able to view the first two pics by using "RMB, View Image". However, tonight at home, all I get is
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /159/2/58/4/2122258040015557962aozGfA_ph.jpg on this server.
A different hosting service may be in order. If you upload them to my server, via this link, I'll put them away and email you links to them (or I can edit your post above and insert them, if you are agreeable; I don't edit other people's posts without permission in general).
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
TheDieseliminator

Al, it looks like the pictures aren't being reliable. I made an album on Webshots and what I did was right click on the pictures for the URL address and then I posted them here in my message with the Img button available in the message body. Maybe Webshots isn't a very reliable place to link pictures from?? Al, I'd like to upload them to your server and I'd like you to edit my post to get the pictures (after uploaded to your server) to show up easily. I really appreciate you being able to help me with this. Before I do anything though should I upload them to your server now and then later you can edit them here in the post? I'll wait for your reply to this message before I go do anything first. Thanks again.

Salvy
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

TheDieseliminator wrote:I'd like to upload them to your server and I'd like you to edit my post to get the pictures
Upload them, using the link above. When I notice they're there, I'll fix it all up. If it isn't fixed within a day, emai me (asavage@iname.com) or use the PM thingy.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
TheDieseliminator

OK, I'm going to go ahead and upload them to your server in the next few minutes here. Thanks for the help and reply.
TheDieseliminator

Al, just got done uploading the five pictures of my car to your server, everything went fine, and they were uploaded sucessfully! Thanks for allowing me to do this and now I shouldn't have a problem with them being able to be seen. Good deal.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Done. Also changed thread title to reflect that it's yours, but without being quite so vague :)

The rear seatbacks are fairly common up here, but only in brown, not in grey or blue. The '82 Wagon that Carimbo & I worked on at the Lynnwood JY had very good back seats, but of course it was a Wagon, and Carimbo has a Sedan and wants a seatback too. The leather seatback in the '84 Sedan at the Lakewood JY today was in decent shape I think but again it is in brown.
Regards,
Al S.

asavage
Site Admin

Re: TheDieseliminator's 1982 Maxima diesel sedan

Post by asavage »

TheDieseliminator wrote:Does anybody happen to know where I could buy a brand new digital camera that takes large, sharp, and clean photos but is still in the $50-75 range?
I bought my last two off of eBay. The Olympus D380 was a big disappointment (though Boss owns a newer model and it works splendidly). It refused to focus correctly under 2', and that's where a lot of my photos occur.

Then I bought a Ricoh RDC-5300 (one model newer than the 5200 I'd bought several years before, and which had been stolen). I don't recommend that model -- it's a very fussy camera and quite slow and proprietary interface, etc. -- but I already knew how to use it and I couldn't pass up the price: $75. I had paid $700 for the 5200. Oh, how the mighty have fallen!

It's only a 2.3MP rig, and it takes acceptably good pictures for what I want to do. I could buy a better camera -- hell, camera phones have better resolution than that these days -- but then I wouldn't be able to buy turbochargers, so that's that. I live with the slow, finicky Ricoh. Don't buy one, unless you are corrigible.
In this picture you can see I have seat covers on the front two seats. The reason why is both of them are ripped and the yellow insides will get chewed up more the more you sit on them. I need to get replacement seats that are a light grey color from somewhere.
Lynnwood JY had a quite nice pair of grey ones, could have purchased both for something like $50. I think that car is gone by now though. And the shipping thing would kill you. I was tempted to buy them myself, as my '82 Wagon has that color interiour, but my seats' fabric are in good shape -- it's the cushions that are getting flat (hurt my back).
Regards,
Al S.

TheDieseliminator

Al, thanks for the fix up and now at least everyone else on the site can see the pictures now. Ebay is where I first looked for digital cameras and I think if I bid up to $75 I could win a decent megapixel camera. That's probably where I'll go to buy my first one or maybe Wal-Mart. About the seats, I think in another thread someone said that the front bucket seats from a 2nd generation Maxima (1985-1988) will bolt right in to the 1st generation car. If that is true I have more than a few local junkyards that have these cars in them and one of the yards used to have an 81-84 car up until about a year ago when they crushed it. It was a gas sedan that had the windshield busted out of it and the only part I got off of it was the radiator fan/clutch assembly. Oh and there is one junkyard in Gettysburg, PA that has about 4-6 85-88 Maximas in their yard I'm sure I can get two solid front seats out of. I know you've found quite a fair share of the 1st generation cars around you, but like you said shipping is going to kill me basically. Thanks.

Salvy
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

There were at least five Gen2 Maximas at the JY yesterday. There are still a lot of them around here. The Gen1s are getting rarer at JYs.
Regards,
Al S.

83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

TheDieseliminator wrote: About the seats, I think in another thread someone said that the front bucket seats from a 2nd generation Maxima (1985-1988) will bolt right in to the 1st generation car.
Salvy, The 2nd gen seats will bolt up to the 1st gen rails with only a little bit of coersion required. The earler 2nd gen seats are different from the later ones. I found a pair of grey seats out of an 87 and they are great. So much more comfortable and firmer than the original seats. They look brand new too. I actually found a brown set out of a 2nd gen today at the JY that looked brand new. Too bad I don't have a car with a brown interior - I would have made those mine!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The seating position in mine are the thing I dislike the most. I may have to follow your lead and try to find a pair of Gen2 buckets and bolt them in.
Regards,
Al S.

kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

I may have to do this upgrade too, the velour on my seats are worn out, leaving just that nylon based fabric, also they are stained and are all saggy and uncomfortable.

If they bolt up fine it really might be worth doing, mabye ill do some hunting at the local JY and try to snag a clean one
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012