What to do with my LD28?

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

ocman

What to do with my LD28?

Post by ocman »

Hi all, I am new here to your forum. And a new proud owner of a 82 Maxima with the famed LD28 engine.
Thats the good news..now the bad..the 82 is driveable but was involved in a frontend collision. Would require a new hood, grille, left front fender and mounts adjustment for the fender to repair..sadly maybe a little too much for saving this car.
But...the car and engine have 50,094 miles on them. The engine runs perfectly, starts asap when cold, zero blowby. It is begging to repower another vehicle.
The challenge...I want to replace my 4 whle drive pathfinder gasser with another 4 whl drive.
From my research, looks like the only viable alternative is an older landcruiser...which I have much respect for..but am curious if there are other 4 whl drives that would lovingly accept the LD28?
Portland, Oregon
1982 Maxima LD28 3 spd auto 51k
1976 Mercedes 240d 4 spd manual 241k
1995 E300D Mercedes 205k
1995 GMC Motorhome Eleganza II 54k
1983 Mighty Max Mitsubishi 4 whl Diesel Pickup
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

A lot depends where you are. Edit you profile and add your city/country or put in you signature line. I've seen some sites showing the LD28 in a Jeep, but I don't think it's common.

Cheers, Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
JasperG

Post by JasperG »

a few of us have them in Land Rovers. Phil is very knowledgeable on this conversion and has helped me along with my project. I was lucky enough to source one with a rover adapter already, drilled out flywheel and a rear oil sump pan which made the project much easier. Not sure what kits are out there. I actually have a kit to run one to a 4cyl series rover transmission and the V8 bolt pattern (which Im using) so I do know they are out there. I believe Marks 4wc made them, but I dont see them on his site. 55k its worth putting in something! Nissan would probably be the easiest though. gordo
ocman

Nissans,Phil, Land Rovers

Post by ocman »

Have looked into Nissans to transplant the LD28 into only possibles are 240z (fun but wife says no).
Did find an adapter for fitting the engine to a series 1,2,3 Land Rover. Love the classic look, but because of the age concerned if would be dependable and comfortable in city traffic.
So Phil? Sounds like someone I should chat with.
Portland, Oregon
1995 E300D Mercedes 205k
ocman

Change of heart

Post by ocman »

I dont' know if it's becuase of my love for cars, or that these Diesel Maximas have something special about them (Maybe its that female voice sweetly reminding me to take my keys), but I have grown very attached to it. Love driving it. I normally drive my 76 240d mercedes back and forth to work, but this maxima has so much more pep and power, has a plush interior, excellent sound system. Crawled underneath for the first time today and all bushings etc look like new. Very solid car. I decided today that I will repair the body damage and make the maxima my daily driver. Interesting how things work out sometimes. Now where to find drivers fender, hood and grille.
Portland, Oregon
1995 E300D Mercedes 205k
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

At one time, I owned a very nice '75 300D and my '82 Maxima Wagon at the same time.

One of them had to go. I had a very hard time deciding which. The MB was a very good looking car, but the interior noise at highway speed, the crazy way the AT kept the engine wound up in town, the relatively poor mileage, and the lack of power compared to the Maxima, all led me to sell the MB. I've never really regretted that decision.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
ocman

Maxima, Mercedes and other ramblings

Post by ocman »

Very nice 300d asavage...
My vintage 76 is a 240d with the 4 speed manual..actually kinda fun to drive..the proper way to drive one is like a bat out of h### and it loves it. But I agree, at the 70 mph that I cruise the freeway there is lots of noise in the cabin..but I am still very attached to that car. Maybe it can be my spare :<)

Found a replacement fender and hood for the Max, ordered the injection pump belt and pulley.

My initial to-dos on the Max are:
1) Repair body
2) Pull radiator, replace inj. pump belt and pully
3) Replace crank seal..instructions show how to replace but dont mention pulling out an old one, is the seal a addon or replacement?
4) Replace water hoses all other belts
5) Is it normal procedure to replace the water pump while I have it apart?
6) Change oil, air filters and do an oil change and water change
7) lube chassis
8) Replace transmission filter and oil (any special nuances on this model?)
9) replace brake fluid inspect brakes
10) Do I need to clean out the intake manifold with 50k on the engine?

Did I miss anything?

R
Portland, Oregon
1995 E300D Mercedes 205k
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

Here are answers to some of your questions:

2) You probably don't need a new IP pulley, but SHOULD rebuild (or replace w/ rebuilt) IP belt tensioner. Al may have some rebuilt, highest quality bearing at a good price. [later edit: read this post for Al's price for the "lifetime" IP belt tensioner.]

3) Crank seal is easy to remove. You can hook the edge w/ a screwdriver and lever it out, take care not to scratch anything. Easy w/ the radiator removed.

4) Factory coolant hoses on these cars have proven to be long-lived. Do a close inspection before deciding to replace all w/ replacements that may be inferior. One coolant hose that has been a problem for some is the short section of 1" hose for the thermostat bypass. Belts may have to be special order (wider than commonly carried at many FLAPS).

5) Water pumps are cheap, it will never be easier than when you already have the other parts off! Coat all bolts w/ anti-seize when you reinstall.

7) My tranny pan was surprisingly clean at over 2xx,xxx miles; what is the condition of your trans fluid? How does it shift? If the fluid looks dirty/burnt, consider flushing tranny/torque converter, don't worry about dropping the pan. http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopi ... c&start=15

My experience is the power steering fluid needs changing more often than the tranny.

10) You could remove the rubber accordeon inlet elbow and look in the intake manifold with a strong light.
windsock

Re: Nissans,Phil, Land Rovers

Post by windsock »

ocman wrote:Have looked into Nissans to transplant the LD28 into only possibles are 240z (fun but wife says no).
Did find an adapter for fitting the engine to a series 1,2,3 Land Rover. Love the classic look, but because of the age concerned if would be dependable and comfortable in city traffic.
So Phil? Sounds like someone I should chat with.
Hey ocman, sorry I missed the message till now. However, as much as I like my LD28 in the rover, I think you are doing the right thing rescuing the old ride... I have been trying to find a good car here in NZ I can do similar to. We have the LD28's in the Nissan Laurels and good C32 Laurels are getting quite hard to find.

All the best with the Maxima rebuild.

Cheers,

Phil
Good roads lead to bad fishing.