sd22 oil pressure gauge

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

BrentGardner

sd22 oil pressure gauge

Post by BrentGardner »

I was wondering how to hook up and oil pressure gauge to my sd22 is there a port or?
dirt

Post by dirt »

There is some information here:

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopic.php?t=588

I've had luck in the past threading a tee into the oil pressure sender port. You just have to get/make a tee with the appropriate threads.
1981 720 KC SD22
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

You can try using the original sender first. I hooked mine right up to the Ford gauge; works perfectly! Heat sender works as well with the Ford unit. I'm in Stirling, by the way...
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
TOYoung

I have two oil pressure senders on my SD22

Post by TOYoung »

Marine application often adds an alarm to both the oil and temperature senders.

I have the original SD22 on off-oil sender going to the alarm. A bright light as well as an alarm sounds if the sender closes(which it does with no pressure or engine not running).

Then I have a generic oil pressure gauge sender threaded into an original tap in the oil gallery on the left side of the block. The plug should be above the pan, near center of the block. This is wired into an oil pressure gauge on the engine panel. I watch this gauge at start up to see the pressure jump to the operating pressure I'm used to seeing.

Same system with the water temp. I use the original on-off Temperature sender for the alarm, and have another sender threaded into an available next to it, that's wired to a temperature gauge on the panel. The gauge alerts me to small changes in temperature.