how do I fill my 5 speed transmission?

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

sd22turbo

how do I fill my 5 speed transmission?

Post by sd22turbo »

Please tell me, and how many quarts?
waynosworld

Re: how do I fill my 5 speed transmission?

Post by waynosworld »

sd22turbo wrote:Please tell me, and how many quarts?

You need to buy a little pump(photo below) that will fit the bottles of gear oil you will buy to fill your transmission, get one that the tube goes all the way to the bottom of the container, I lost my tube.
I usually buy a gallon, but you will need to buy 2 quarts to start with that the pump will fit, I buy a gallon and fill the quart bottles.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
asavage
Site Admin

Re: how do I fill my 5 speed transmission?

Post by asavage »

sd22turbo wrote:Please tell me, and how many quarts?
Take a look at this post and click on the picture to make it large enough to see the plugs. You may want to read the previous page of good tips on removing/installing the plugs.

As for capacity, I don't have my FSM here at work, but from memory it's more than two and less than four quarts. Be sure and use a gear oil that is compatible with yellow metals (brass parts). That means no API GL5 oil in the transmission (though it's fine for the differential(s)).

More info on this in this thread.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.