1982 datsun diesel kingcab

Buy it, sell it, negotiate, haggle, drag it out from under the workbench or behind the garage and make it someone else's problem!

Moderators: glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

wombat

1982 datsun diesel kingcab

Post by wombat »

i have this same question listed on 720world. i am looking to sell it once i determine its value.

i have a 1982 datsun 720 diesel, kingcab, 5-speed with about 125k miles on it. my grandfather purchased it new, and he used it for driving to the golf range, garden supply store, etc. it's been located in OR, CA and WA (we rarely salt roads in the pac NW). he kept it garaged and kept a shell on the bed, so i can't find any evidence of rust. there's no dents or major problems with the body.

the tires are in decent shape, and it comes with 2 studded winter tires. it has factory AC, but it was barely blowing cold so when i put new belts on it, i just left the AC belt off. i replaced the radio and speakers with a kenwood CD player/HD radio with USB input. i used factory locations for the speakers, so no holes were cut. i replaced the front shocks because i think the old ones were original.

the engine runs great. i replaced the primary and secondary fuel filters because they started to get clogged and i've had no other issues. it fires up immediately, once the glow plugs are warm.

the plastic/vinyl seats do have some tears in the them. the windshield squirters work, but seem to be a little clogged, so there's that. otherwise, it's in about as good of condition as it can be. i took the shell off, but it goes with the truck.

i've had the truck for about 7 or 8 months and it's served me well, but with kids and coaching responsibilities, the 2-seater is just not working out. i would love to keep it as an extra vehicle for pickup truck duties, but i really don't have the room.

so what's a fair price for my little diesel?
asavage
Site Admin

Re: 1982 datsun diesel kingcab

Post by asavage »

1982 was the year that Datsun sold the most diesels in America. Most 720 diesels seem to be white with blue interior, at least in the PNW.

You might edit your profile and fill in the Location field.

On the minus side, it's not a King Cab (if it was, you might keep it -- they have jump seats: terribly uncomfortable but useful in a pinch.), and the seat condition.

On the plus side, it's basically a one-owner rig, no (or little) rust, relatively low miles, and factory A/C (working or not, that's a bonus).

Depending on the cosmetics -- which matter a lot -- I'd be looking for $2000 to 4500, with the top end being very shiny indeed and probably an out-of-reach number, but useful for negotiating.

If you keep it much longer, please change the transmission fluid for synthetic, as the transmissions (F25W71b) is a known weak point; Nissan upgraded to larger front bearings in around '85 because of the recurring transmission front bearing failures.

BTW, if you want to replace the seat, I have a VGC bench seat in blue, in storage in Port Hadlock, Wash. You can have it, gratis. I had to part out the truck and just couldn't toss the seat. Let me see if I took any pics six years ago . . . Yeah, I have some old pics. It's in a garage, up away from the mice:
Pic_41b.jpg
Pic_41b.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 4546 times
Pic_42b.jpg
Pic_42b.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 4546 times
Pic_43b.jpg
Pic_43b.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 4546 times
Pic_44b.jpg
Pic_44b.jpg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 4546 times
(Naturally, this offer is open for anyone.)
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
wombat

Post by wombat »

oh, king cabs have jump seats? ok, i don't have jump seats, but it does have an extended length cab.

you are absolutely right about the color, white with blue interior, but it has 2 bucket seats rather than a bench. they are not in terrible condition, just ripped on the side where you slide in and out. i appreciate the offer on the bench, but the buckets do make it much easier to access the extended cab's storage space, so i'll probably stick with them.

i wouldn't call it "shiny", but it is in very nice condition. i'll post some pictures when i get a chance.

thank you for all the information, especially the price. i've had 3 different strangers come up to me and ask if it was for sale (at the time it wasn't), so i know there's a market for it. i just had no idea where to start.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

If it has windows behind the doors on the sides, it's a King Cab. I had a pair of spare jump seats for them, but I think I gave them away already.

That factory A/C (even in non-op condition) makes it a very tempting rig, even for me and I'm not looking for one! If you were to advertise to a wider audience that includes the southland, you could probably do well. Lots of buyers in AZ, SoCal, etc. But you'd have to make an effort to market to them.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.