Junkyard Grocery List

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

TooManyIdeas

Junkyard Grocery List

Post by TooManyIdeas »

I'm looking to do alittle strolling at my local junkyard and I was wondering about year interchangability diesel vs gasser parts and different makes altogether. I'm not looking for anything in particular. I only want to know about swappable parts
82 Datsun 720 King Cab Diesel - FOR SALE !!!!
85 Chevy Monte Carlo CL
90 Toyota Pickup -SOLD
05 Kia Spectra 5
02 Dodge Dakota Quadcab
-OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH YEAH!!!!!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The battery hold-down bars are largely interchangeable across all years.

The transmission guts can be interchanged, though the ratios are a little different -- I've done it. The front half of the trans case is different to accomodate the different starter location of the SD.

All body panels interchange. The fuel tank is unique to the diesel, due to the lack of internal galvanizing (zinc & diesel don't get along). The gasser's dash tach won't work with the diesel.

I think that the radiator is different -- different inlet/outlets.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
TooManyIdeas

more specific

Post by TooManyIdeas »

Well lets see
I find all the bushings to replace a sway bar but no swaybar so lets start there. What years will fit the 82? will gassers work or is the diesel suspension more heavy duty.
Same with the power steering assembly. My truck doesn't have it and that sucks so I want to retro fit. Again what years and will gassers fit.
My radiator support is all jacked up so I need a replacement one of those. Then there is stuff like cruise control, different bumpers, fenders, doors? will later year hardbody's work
85 Chevy Monte Carlo CL
90 Toyota Pickup -SOLD
05 Kia Spectra 5
02 Dodge Dakota Quadcab
philip
Deceased

Re: more specific

Post by philip »

Any year 720 2wd anti roll bar will fit. Engine type does not matter.

Power steering pump (divorced reservoir), bracketry, and idler pulley are unique to the diesel. I'm not sure about the number of pulleys on the crankshaft. For my SD22 with factory A/C, there is one for the W/P & Alt, and a second smaller pulley for the A/C compressor. Armstrong steering is fine until you mount wider tires.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
asavage
Site Admin

Re: more specific

Post by asavage »

Good stuff.
TooManyIdeas wrote:Same with the power steering assembly.
As Philip said, it's unique to the SD engine, so you'll have to find a diesel to provide the bits. And I can tell you that SDs with PS are pretty darned rare.
My radiator support is all jacked up so I need a replacement one of those.
Interchangeable, 1981-86, AFAIK.
Then there is stuff like cruise control . . .
I do not know if it was even available for the diesel. Even it it were, modern aftermarket CC kits will work much better. I installed an aftermarket kit last year on a rig (not a diesel), and it works extremely well.
bumpers, fenders, doors?
All interchangable, all years and all models, except: Taillights changed in ('83?), and that means that the bed changed too. You can interchange the bed + rear bumper together between all years -- keeping in mind the variations in bed length.
will later year hardbody's work
Don't know. Peter's "Bellingham Truck" is an '82 KC with a hand-shortened D21 bed on it. Looks weird. I haven't looked to see how it's mounted, but I suspect that it's more or less a bolt-on. Hard to say, since it was a std bed that was shorted to fit on a KC chassis -- or more properly, shortened to fit a std chassis that has a long KC cab on it.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
TooManyIdeas

power steering

Post by TooManyIdeas »

Is it unique to the diesel because of bracketry or because of RPM's if its bracketry, thats not a problem I can make it fit :wink: by fabbing up some new brackets
85 Chevy Monte Carlo CL
90 Toyota Pickup -SOLD
05 Kia Spectra 5
02 Dodge Dakota Quadcab
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I don't have an '82 FSM right now (sold it to a member who needed it more than I do right now), but in the '84 FSM, pg ST-14, there are pics. The pump for the gasser and SD engines is a different pump, the reservoir is remote mounted for the SD, integral on the Z24. On both engines, the pump mounts on the passenger (right) side of the engine.

The power steering gearbox looks to be identical for gasser & diesel versions, so that wouldn't be a problem. If you can hang a PS pump somewhere and drive it, you can fiddle with the pump's sheave diameter if the flow is too low or too high. But you'll fab the brackets and the pressure hose, all custom.
Regards,
Al S.

philip
Deceased

Re: power steering

Post by philip »

TooManyIdeas wrote:Is it unique to the diesel because of bracketry ...
As I mentioned eariler, the diesel version has a divorced (remote) reservior and fittings to make that possible do to the location. The pump iteself is the same however ... there are fittings required to remote mount the oil reservoir. Notice too there is a different angle on the hose fitting on the rear of of the pump body and that the sheave (drive pulley) is smaller.

On the SD25, the IPController for the Injection pump was rotated 90 degrees to give the P/S pump more room.

All this is covered in the ST section of the FSM.

-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"