* Cold Weather Starting Difficulty *

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

EvergreenSD

Post by EvergreenSD »

It worked! It worked! It worked, but I think I went a little bit too far. My cold-start this afternoon went dramatically better that it has previously. There was but one tiny puff of smoke. I can't say it ran 100% smoothly but it was an enormous improvement and it took the little nudge of throttle to help it warm up without the missing and embarassing smoke screen. I am very pleased, to say the least. I took it for a drive to make sure there were no driveability issues and all was well, I think it sounded better, quieter and smoother revving.
There was one little thing I noticed when I got to the store, however. It wasn't too eager to shut down. It just kept running when I turned off the key. It got much quieter but shook a bit and just kept right on going, much like a gasser 'dieseling'. Next I'm going to try splitting the difference between where it was and where it is now, though any thoughts are more than welcome. I rotated the pump counter-clockwise so that the alignment mark on the pump is maybe 1mm to the left of where it was. The next setting I try will be within the margin of the v-shaped groove in the timing housing just to give and idea of how slight a movement is involved. Thank you Zen, I'm sure you would have slapped me if I were in reach and I might have reached this point sooner. I am feeling much relieved already as well as being hopeful that I will be able to get my fuel mileage closer to what I have been hearing from others. I would be lost without this board.

PS. Before I 'Turbo it' I will have to wait until this engine is in a 4x4 chassis with taller gears. Patience my son.
'82 SD22 720 Kingcab with flatbed
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

EvergreenSD wrote:SNIP: There was one little thing I noticed when I got to the store, however. It wasn't too eager to shut down. It just kept running when I turned off the key. It got much quieter but shook a bit and just kept right on going, much like a gasser 'dieseling'. SNIP
On both ends of the linkage rod connecting the IPC to the Fuel Control Lever is a plastic bushing (2). If I recall right, I replaced them with very similar bushings from True Value Hardware. Had to file them down lenthwise a teeny bit. Think they were 1/8" ID.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
EvergreenSD

Post by EvergreenSD »

Thanks for the tip. I'll admit that I was a little confused by how it kept running, regardless of pump timing. Once the fuel is shut off it should die, right? Maybe it isn't quite reaching the 'off' position. With the timing a little off it would die when most of the fuel was cut off and now it will run with just a trickle? I let it run for maybe 20 seconds and there was no sign of it dying, I don't know how long it would have kept up. It sounded kind of funny actually, my street-ripping, tire-burning, civilian-terrorizing 61 bhp( :lol: ) had apparently transformed itself into a lawn-mowing 1/2 hp perpetual motion machine. I will definitely look for play in that area. Have you guys come up with a NissanDieel logo I can have tattooed on my forehead yet?
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

EvergreenSD wrote:Thanks for the tip. I'll admit that I was a little confused by how it kept running, regardless of pump timing. Once the fuel is shut off it should die, right? Maybe it isn't quite reaching the 'off' position.
With a lot of slop present at both ends of that linkage rod, the IPC can't pull the Fuel Control Lever quite far enough to immediately achieve fuel OFF position.
EvergreenSD wrote:With the timing a little off it would die when most of the fuel was cut off and now it will run with just a trickle?

No. Your pump timing has no bearing on Fuel Control Lever position. Timing
EvergreenSD wrote:I let it run for maybe 20 seconds and there was no sign of it dying, I don't know how long it would have kept up. It sounded kind of funny actually, my street-ripping, tire-burning, civilian-terrorizing 61 bhp( :lol: ) had apparently transformed itself into a lawn-mowing 1/2 hp perpetual motion machine. I will definitely look for play in that area. Have you guys come up with a NissanDiesel logo I can have tattooed on my forehead yet?
Those moments were just fuel reduction. On the smoke setscrew thread, you will notice the Fuel Control Lever effect is stepped only insofar as the IPC/DPC control is concerned.
Last edited by philip 17 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

redmondjp

Post by redmondjp »

Evergreen--glad that this worked for you! I just had all of my glow plugs out last night, powering each of them up, verifying proper operation, cleaning all electrial connections, and whoa, it was after midnight so I had to quit for the evening.

It started pretty well this morning on one glow cycle with only a bit of missing, but it was fairly dry (no dew) and 55 degrees. I'm trying to get it to start as well when it's 35-40 degrees (bonus points if on one glow cycle :) ), which as you know is pretty typical in the winter around here.

I'm thinking of doing exactly what you did--slightly advance the timing. I know my '81 Rabbit responded very well to just a bit more advance.

It's a heck of a lot easier to just slightly advance and try it, than it is to disconnect all of the lines and do the drip-tube measurements. I'll be out in the driveway tonight!
1982 Datsun 720 King Cab, SD22, 86K miles (sold)
1981 Rabbit LS 4-door, 1.6D, 130K miles (sold)
1996 Passat TDI 4-door sedan, 197K miles
EvergreenSD

Post by EvergreenSD »

I started up this morning when it was about 40 degrees. It had been down to freezing overnight, though, so I'm sure the engine was still very cold. It wasn't the smoothest start but the smoke was dramatically reduced and it warmed up to a smooth idle much more quickly. This was on one glow cycle, I suppose it would have been worth cycling them twice.
I also inspected the IPC linkage rod and found that it does need bushings. There is alot of slop there and I found that the engine would shut right off it I moved the lever just a hair more so I think that will solve the run-on. It's very interesting to me that this situation appeared when I changed pump timing. It is obviously running more efficiently now so that it can keep running on that tiny trickle of fuel. I am tempted trying to advance it just a hair more to see if there's more improvement to be had.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

EvergreenSD wrote:SNIP I also inspected the IPC linkage rod and found that it does need bushings. There is alot of slop there and I found that the engine would shut right off it I moved the lever just a hair more so I think that will solve the run-on. It's very interesting to me that this situation appeared when I changed pump timing. SNIP
:idea: The Fuel Control Lever position is not influenced by IP body rotation but ... Fuel Control Lever position is influenced by IP body rotation relative to the IPC controller motor/mechanism when you move from RUN toward OFF. As you discovered, when you're on the edge, it takes only a fraction of an inch to stop short of true fuel shut OFF position. :wink:
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

philip wrote:Fuel Control Lever position is influenced by IP body rotation relative to the IPC controller motor/mechanism when you move from RUN toward OFF.
So, generalizing, if one changes the IP timing, one should re-check the IPC rod adjustment?
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:So, generalizing, if one changes the IP timing, one should re-check the IPC rod adjustment?
Certainly when a "new" shut-down problem follows a significant alteration in IP position. :wink:

OFF is OFF only when the Fuel Control Lever is rotated sufficiently CCW. Zoltan found out just how little movement is actually required compared to the travel available. :wink:
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

redmondjp wrote:It's a heck of a lot easier to just slightly advance and try it, than it is to disconnect all of the lines and do the drip-tube measurements. I'll be out in the driveway tonight!
Is it a genetic or spiritual failing in human beings that makes us 1st choose the path of least resistance?

It is not difficult to remove all injection lines NOR is it difficult performing the drip method timing check. But of course, we waste HOURS tinkering with our hobbies without a second thought. :wink:
Last edited by philip 16 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

I'm glad you got it fixed, and sorry I missed it, but just for everybodys reference, I was going to suggest one other possibility.

If there is any restriction in the fuel line such as a plugged fuel filter, any entrained air in the fuel will be pulled out of solution (think of it as precipitation) and after shutdown will coalesce in the filter, the lines, and the pump. Upon startup the typical foul running will occur until all the air is run out. Because the air in the lines after the pump compresses upon injection, the delivery is both retarded and diminished. If driving has been vigorous and/or in hot weather, the sloshing fuel in the tank will tend to pick up more air.

And just for the record, the diesel tech who said a visual inspection of injectors is adequate is full of it. If you plan on owning an SD for any while, either get to know a good shop or set up your own test stand. Checking pressure and spray pattern is routine maintenance, and the only way.
'82 standard cab 3 axle SD22 turbo
'89 int'l 9700 Cummins 444 (855 ci)
'29 HD FD export model
zen

Post by zen »

knucklehead wrote:And just for the record, the diesel tech who said a visual inspection of injectors is adequate is full of it. If you plan on owning an SD for any while, either get to know a good shop or set up your own test stand. Checking pressure and spray pattern is routine maintenance, and the only way.
too right!!
turbo it

(sd33t home turbo set up if anyone is interested..)