Oil leaking everywhere

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

cseger1

Oil leaking everywhere

Post by cseger1 »

Thanks for anyone with the patience to even read my threads anymore. I think the fix for this truck is 5lbs. of TNT. And yet I push on.

So here's today's quandary:

There is a lot of oil leaking out of this truck. 1qt. per 200 Mi. I feel like a rolling superfund site. I park on a tarp and am actually dripping enough to recycle it. The main culprit is the recently famous oil pump line which I'll be sending to a hose shop as recommended. yesterday I replaced the valve cover seal and stopped that leak but there is still a lot of oil coming from the upper rear portion of the engine. Is the vapor seperator a good plcae for a leak to pop up? Is there an O ring or something to replace on it?
Christian
1981 720 SD22
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Off the top of my head, and excluding the VC gasket, possible oil leak points include:
  • Camshaft and oil galley rear plugs (under flywheel), not very likely but possible
  • Oil pressure switch (behind and below oil cooler, right side)
  • Oil cooler o-rings
Fix the vacuum pump oil feel line first, use some cleaner (I use Castrol SuperClean, $9/gal, plus a "utility" squirt bottle and a cheap, nylon parts cleaning brush), and just watch it while rev'ing it up. As much as you're leaking, any leak that remains will be easy to spot -- IF you clean off the engine first! Trying to find an oil leak on a wet engine is miserable.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
cseger1

Post by cseger1 »

You're telling me. I spent an hour under the truck today with a paint scraper trying to get the oil/dirt mixture off. I got huge piles of "tar". I am going to the car wash with a can of cleaner next.
Christian
1981 720 SD22
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Around here, the car washes work well enough that I don't take cleaner with me. I own a pressure washer, but I like to leave the crap at someone else's place ;)

After I've removed the big stuff at the car wash, I do the detailed cleaning at home. Well, at work.

BTW, don't use the "Engine Degreaser" option at the car wash, it's usually a waste of money. If you don't get hot, susdy water at high pressure from the "Soap" function, find another car wash. There are plenty of bad ones. Sometimes you have to hunt for a good one.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
REDNECK

Post by REDNECK »

The best de-greaser to buy comes from FORD......i've been in the trade a long time and it's the best so far, and it'll clean the worst motor off! spotless
87 D21,SD25.
may she NEVER stop smokin!
TooManyIdeas

Post by TooManyIdeas »

EZ-OFF Oven Cleaner
82 Datsun 720 King Cab Diesel - FOR SALE !!!!
85 Chevy Monte Carlo CL
90 Toyota Pickup -SOLD
05 Kia Spectra 5
02 Dodge Dakota Quadcab
-OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH YEAH!!!!!
pbknowles

Post by pbknowles »

The vapor separator has a square section rubber o-ring that seals it to the block, could leak there, but on mine the seam where the separator was assembled leaked too. It is built like a tin soup can. It has a rolled and crimped joint where the body proper is joined to the back plate, and this joint originally had some kind of sealer in it. On mine the sealer was dried out and it was drooling from this seam. I just cleaned it up real good and smeared a layer of silicone around the outside, no more leak.
SD22 powered '85 Chevy S-10
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

TooManyIdeas wrote:EZ-OFF Oven Cleaner
Nope, that'll take off paint, and will also corrode any aluminum parts. Stay away from oven cleaner, it's too hard on paint, plating, and aluminum.
Regards,
Al S.

ffdjm

Post by ffdjm »

Be careful of pressure washing engines. It's all too easy to splash water into electrical parts, where it causes corrosion and failure. For removing of oil I use white gas (Coleman fuel) in a garden sprayer. Kerosene works as well but takes a while to evaporate. Don't use pump gas. The stuff is full of benzene which is a carcinogen. This won't remove other forms of dirt. For that scrubbing with a brush and degreaser mixed with solvent followed by water rinse is most effective.

Douglas
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

ffdjm wrote:Be careful of pressure washing engines. It's all too easy to splash water into electrical parts, where it causes corrosion and failure. For removing of oil I use white gas (Coleman fuel) in a garden sprayer. Kerosene works as well but takes a while to evaporate. Don't use pump gas. The stuff is full of benzene which is a carcinogen. This won't remove other forms of dirt. For that scrubbing with a brush and degreaser mixed with solvent followed by water rinse is most effective.

Douglas
This really annoys me.

NO VOLITILE organic cleaners where electrical sparks or strong magnetic fields are generated. And you certainly don't need kerosene or ANY "fuel" laying on an engine... even a diesel. Worried about water corrosion? How about your solvents getting into alternator, starter, IPC motor bearings?

You worry about carcinogens ... how about where all that dirty "fuel" you washed off headed to? COMMUNITY ground water.

There are aerosol engine cleaners. At industry levels, VOC solvents have been replaced by citrus and other low polluting formulations. Yeah they don't work as fast but ... I like cleaner water.

Rant over.
Last edited by philip 17 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I use high pressure water everywhere. It's seldom a problem with electrical parts. In particular, you can soak alternators. As long as you don't store the vehicle in a wet climate, the water is by-and-large going to evaporate.

Up here in the Great Pacific NorthWet, we know corrosion. I'm not washing my engines every week, I work hard to get 'em clean once, then I can rinse them off every few months to keep 'em that way.

Crud I wash off is crud that won't attach itself to me when I have to work on it, and oil + rubber parts = short life.

I hate oil leaks and dead cylinders. Oil burning doesn't bother me as much.

OTOH, oil all over a diesel is pretty much only a fire hazard. On a gasser, it's a much bigger deal, with all the sensors, hoses, and high voltage trying to get out.
Regards,
Al S.