Engine rattle at cold start

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

betterthanexpected

Engine rattle at cold start

Post by betterthanexpected »

i have a 81 pickup have had it for about 2 years . my motor started knocking a little a few weeks a ago. not sure what going on.
just found the site a few days ago.
i adjusted the valves it seemed to help it stopped rattling right away.
next day cold start rattle ratttle rattle. clears up after a few mins. whats going on here i saw that u can ajust the pump timing not brave enough yet to try that . saw the diaphram post seems simple enough to replace have not looked yet. could it be the injectors where can a fellow get new one? are they available?
also my tranny rattles at the gear shifter i have developed a habit of wiggling it to stop the noise it seems like the shifter is to heavy or is it the tranny going bad ? i love this truck i want to keep driving it any info will be a lot of help thanks.
betterthanexpected

engine rattle at cold start

Post by betterthanexpected »

my truck would not start so i bypassed the ipc and cut the wires to the pump now its allways in the on position. choke cable thru firewall to stop the motor.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

If the knocking goes away within, say, fifteen seconds, look hard at your oil filter first. The anti-drainback valve on the cheaper filters fails and allows the filter to drain back into the sump overnight.

Next most likely, from your symptom description, would be a failed injector. It might be leaking down overnight, or may have a poor cold spray pattern. There is a good discussion of SD injectors in this thread.

The DPC module (the "black box" that controls the IPC motor you disconnected) has a fairly common failure of a relay; it can be repaired. Details are in this thread.

The shift lever does rattle in neutral on transmissions with lots of miles on them. The cross pin gets loose in the bores. However, the transmissions also eat front mainshaft and front countershaft bearings, esp. if the oil isn't kept pristine. Lots more information in this thread.

Please edit your Profile (click on "Profile" at the top of any page) and add your truck's details to your Signature field; it will cut down the number of times people ask you what year your truck is, or which cab it has, or whatever.

HTH
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.