Hi and LD20T-II Question

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

DerekG

Hi and LD20T-II Question

Post by DerekG »

Hi Folks,

A buddy found your forum right as we are embarking on a venture to stuff an LD20T-II into an old Datsun here stateside. We'll post details and pics as it becomes more than an initial plan.

So, here's the deal. Neither of us are diesel folks and we don't really know how to tell if the engine importer is getting all the relevant bits for the LD20T-II. I read through a number of posts here and one post references the LD20T-II being ECU controlled. Can somebody verify this is or is not the case? I thought both the LD20T and the LD20T-II were full mechanical control. BTW, he ordered a manual from AUS, but I don't know what year and what it coverse since it is en route. We obviously might be jumping the gun with the question, but the engine arrives next week and will probably beat the manual to our shores.

Thanks much, Derek G from San Francisco
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Member "davehoos" in AU posts early morning our time (PST), and he has worked with the LD20II stuff, so he may chime in "tonight".
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
DerekG

Post by DerekG »

asavage wrote:Member "davehoos" in AU posts early morning our time (PST), and he has worked with the LD20II stuff, so he may chime in "tonight".
Thanks. I just heard back from the importer and he says it has no ECU, it was just another post that raised the question. Great board here with lots of good info.

Derek
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

We're pretty light on II info here, since they were never sold in the US, and have several parts not interchangeable with the non-II.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

AUST LD20-II C22--sold only in a basic vanette pannel van- basically for australia post + few others.there is no ECU for this model only a basic glow timer and it has a full mechanical IP.No tacho.
commercial vehicles are emision exempt.

but there was lots of grey market import LD20T-II LARGO AUTO 4X4 COACHES.these have ECU control glow plugs,EGR and auto gear box.

LD20-II are common in new zealand in FWD form and a number of RWD conversion and imports.often these are basic models with extras and trim added from cheep wrecks.

910 bluebird 1983-1992,was the first rwd LD20-II sedan,as these are domestics taxi models the rare exported cars probably went to asia/russia etc.

nissan larger van in japan has a LD20T-II option.its obviously under powered and has an extra aux radiator to handle full load running.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
DerekG

Thanks

Post by DerekG »

Dave, thanks for the info. I obviously need to try to ascertain the vehicle that donated this engine. Are the blocks the same between FWD and RWD? If so, we don't mind fabricating mounts and an oil pan and pickup. I just want to make sure there is nothing so different that a FWD engine cannot be adapted to a RWD application. If the block has the same flywheel and bolt pattern of the L-series gas engines I would imagine we will run a 280Z 5 speed FS5W71B.

Derek
asavage
Site Admin

Re: Thanks

Post by asavage »

DerekG wrote:If the block has the same flywheel and bolt pattern of the L-series gas engines I would imagine we will run a 280Z 5 speed FS5W71B.
In particular, the oil pump is coaxial with the front of the crankshaft on the II series engines, whereas the Z2x and L gassers (and the non-II LDs) use a gear pump driven by either the distributor shaft (gassers) or a dummy shaft (LDs). You know about the "turbo" version of the oil pump that is hot ticket for lubrication upgrade for an L16/18/20/24/26/28? Won't work on the II.

I've been assuming that the II series engines retain the same bellhousing pattern as the L(D) non-II engines, and that implies FSxW71x trans compatibility.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

rear of the block is the same as early L/LD and very close to the Z R type engines.[top dowl and drilled holes at different spacings]

i think its also the same as FWD KA24 used in usa stanza.the auto gear box has LD and KA identification cast on to the housing.

the engine mount bolt holes are the same as old Lseries engines.the turbo ues the highest bolt hole to mount a support bracket.
the problem will be the extras bollted on the sides that get in the way,for me right hand drive is a problem with the easy to get RWD starter solinoid hanging out wide fowling steering box or shafts.the vannette engine i have has the power steer mounted low at the right front and the oil filter is under this with a long extension with no heat exchanger.water plumbing on a van is different to FWD or a bluebird.there are 3 water outlets for the heater and some use a surge tank system as part of the radiator and or a second radiator.not all use an oil heat exchange and oil jets for the pistons.

one FWD engine i saw[hard to find] had the IP mounted high level with the rocker cover with the oil filter and cooler facing horizontal-this gives plenty room for australian L20B mounts that are high mount type[L280] with upside down oil filter.

engine block problems--
water pump.the front of the block is different to an early chain drive.but there is also changes in the later blocks.

water pump is a different setup on RWD with the lower hose travelling behind the exhaust and the bypass crossing over the back of the block.the area for the front engine mount near the water pump is not cast on my RWD van block and a large knob that looks like a water hose junction has not been machined or drilled.

most japanese turbo will be from vanette coach[largo] vanette cab chasis or E24 urvan/caravan/homy etc.

the thing in japan is you see specs for engines fitted to models like laurel comercial vehicles.chances are if there are 1 special customer or a taxi company that has a large order the chances are you wont get these through the scrap engine networks.i hadnt seen a CA18ET powered 4x4 largo and wanted the electricals to suit my bluebird.then all of a suden there are dozens on yahoo,then ive never seen any since.same deal with carby VG30 laurel and urvan.loads of these used imports in new zealand but you never see these at auction.
DerekG

Thanks again

Post by DerekG »

Again, more great info. The car is going to be LHD. If there is interference with the normal steering gear we'll convert to R&P steering. Engine mounts, cooling houses and outlets and such are not nearly as much of a concern as we already end up fabricating a massive amount for each debauchery of a transplant we try. The IP mount *should* be OK if it is on the right side of the block as the car has massive room on this side. Alternator is not a big deal as we can mount it where ever a belt will reach. I guess at this point we'll get the engine, figure out, with help from both your info, exactly how the beast will sit in the car, then ask questions as we go. The importer is trying to ascertain the model from which the engine came, but after looking at resources online and reading Dave's post, I would suspect it to be the Homy. I'll keep everyone informed and will post all info found as well as pics as we get started.

Thank you, Derek
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

oil filter and starter motor a a pain for converting.
this is a van engine.
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

Wow that looks like such a clean shop. Is that your shop davehoos? That is cleaner than a lot of people's kitchens!
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

i wish.

workshop
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

That last slide is in backwards... :wink:
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD