LD28 Marine Long Block Replacement

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

LD28 Owner

LD28 Marine Long Block Replacement

Post by LD28 Owner »

Take a look at http://alwayslingerawhile.blogspot.com/ ... chive.html
for some interesting photos and narrative on a major effort on the marine version of the LD28 engine. The photos begin on March 24.
Jim
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Great stuff, Jim.

Your old block has the center oil pickup and is the special one needed for 280Z retrofits to avoid the extension pickup tube you had to do. Most folks do an extension like you did, and modify the Maxima oil pan, in order to fit it to the 240/260/280Z chassis.

I can't see what you did, but while I'm sure you already know this, for those following along: if you extend the oil pump pickup tube, make darned sure it's supported, generally by a custom bracket. There's no way that long pickup tube, cantilevered, will not fracture and begin sucking air after a number of hours. Diesels shake! And you're using copper, which fatigues even worse than steel.

Can you have your SO take a pic of that "oil pump check valve" that malfunctioned, as I am not aware of such a part.

I didn't see how you timed the IP -- which method did you use? And did you fabricate your own IP dial indicator adapter?
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
LD28 Owner

Post by LD28 Owner »

Al, I need to clarify my posting above. I'm not the Jim who did the long block swap. The Jim who did the work lives on the other coast and I don't beleive he is a member of this group. I learned of his efforts thru a Yahoo group dealing with the type of boat that both he and I have.

I've sent the east coast Jim a link to your comments.

West coast Jim