Replacement power steering high pressure hose

Buy it, sell it, negotiate, haggle, drag it out from under the workbench or behind the garage and make it someone else's problem!

Moderators: glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

goglio704

Replacement power steering high pressure hose

Post by goglio704 »

I am very close to having a replacement power steering hose worked out for the Maxima with the LD 28 engine. It will be basically a bolt in operation, a tubing cutter and wrenches will be the only tools needed. Unless I hit a snag, I think I can do these for $50 or less. Anybody interested? I will be happy to share all the specifics for anybody who wants to do it on their own, but I thought some might be interested in a ready to go hose?
Last edited by goglio704 16 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

I thought I'd give this a bump. I haven't gone to the expense of fabbing up extra hoses yet, but I did buy extra fittings to adapt from the Atsugi's JIS fitting to male JIC. If anybody wants or needs an adapter or a complete hose, let me know.
Matt B.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Matt,

Are you saying have made up and installed a hose and it's done the job?

What sort of stuff went into it - how robust do you figure it is? What pieces do you need to make it work - is it pure bolt-in?

And what lead time and price? <g>

Thanks, Rufus
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

rlaggren wrote:Are you saying have made up and installed a hose and it's done the job?
Yes and yes.
rlaggren wrote:What sort of stuff went into it - how robust do you figure it is? What pieces do you need to make it work - is it pure bolt-in?

And what lead time and price? <g>

Thanks, Rufus
As to the stuff:

One piece of high pressure power steering hose.
One adapter from the Atsugi pump to a JIC fitting.
One JIC fitting for the high pressure hose.
One 5/16" compression fitting for the high pressure hose.

I believe it to be a "permanent" repair since everything I'm using is appropriate for what I'm asking of it.

A tubing cutter is the only tool needed other than wrenches. You have to cut the original tube close to where it transitions to hose in order to install the compression fitting.

I could get one put together in a couple weeks. Price would not exceed $50 plus shipping.

Alternatively, I'll sell the adapter alone for $15. Your local hydraulic shop should not have trouble once you have adapted the unusual fitting found on the pump to the totally ordinary JIC fitting.
Matt B.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

A tubing cutter is the only tool needed other than wrenches. You have to cut the original tube close to where it transitions to hose in order to install the compression fitting.
The "original tube" is part of the fitting on the original hose that connects to the rack (or the power head or whatever gets high pressure...)? In that case, why not use that fitting? Or is the fitting "permanently" installed to the rack?

'Scuse me if that's a dumb question. I haven't ever gotten dirty under a rack&pinion power steering setup much less under a Maxima.

How many miles have you got on your installation?

Rufus
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Never mind about the tube/fitting thing. Found Al's explanation in the faq.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Rufus, since you're already read my write-up, you will also want to read Matt's original hose post.

This is what the whole system looks like off the car, which is something you will never see again . . .

(1981 Sedan shown)
Image Image
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Good use of shadows there, Al. <G>
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Hah! I didn't even notice how the shadow helps define the bends in the hardlines. I'm a lousy photographer, but I make do the best I can.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.