Industrial versus automotive

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

I know these engines are used in large forklifts, boats, and other things. Does anybody know what if anything is different between the automotive and industrial models?
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Though I've heard rumors of LD28 use in marine apps (notably, one was pulled from a boat in Oak Harbor, Wash. about six months ago, and was listed for sale either on Craigslist or eBay; I emailed the fellow about it, and he had a picture of it in the back of a pickup, but no drive info), I've never heard of forklift use of the LD28. The SD22 (1965-ish to about 1988) were developed for forklift use originally, later adapted for other industrial uses, and a lot were used in boats, and later still they were used in the 720 PUs (I owned a couple '82 720s with SD22s), but I haven't heard of the LD28 in a forklift.

Anybody else?

Any I've no idea of the difference between the industrial and automotive versions, though I've read somewhere that a turbo version was available in an NPR-like truck in Europe.

The LD28's smaller cousin, the LD20 was widely available in a turbo version -- L20T.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

Don't take the forklift thing for gospel. I've heard of it, not seen it. Here is a link I found interesting: http://www.jescoweb.com/nissaneng.htm#DIRECTORY
I've never contacted them, but I intend to. This site makes mention of the LD 28 being a dry sleeved engine. My 81 FSM supplement makes no mention of dry sleeves for cylinder bores. There is or was a boat on Ebay in the last week that had an LD 28.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

im pretty positive i have seen a ld28 forklift once, but eyes can be decieving and i did not look at the spec. plate, but it did say nissan diesel on it and it had that ld28 look to it
goglio704

Industrial LD 28 brochure

Post by goglio704 »

The LD 28 lives on as an industrial engine for generator sets and the like. These folks
http://www.jescoweb.com/nissaneng.htm#DIRECTORY
sell and support them (approx. $5,000 for a new LD 28.) Don't know who, if anybody, is buying. With many thanks to Al for hosting these scans and making them usable in this forum, here are some scans of the sales brochure that I got from Jesco:

They sell parts and a service manual ($35.00) which I will probably buy eventually. Hopefully that manual would be more than just a repackaging of what the FSM's already give. I expect these engines to outlast the cars and one of mine might well wind up on a genset at some point. What all will bolt up to a "SAE # 4" flywheel housing anyway?

P.S. The intent is to make a larger image available by clicking. I will probably need Al's help to make it work though, as I am a BBcode virgin.
:oops: Al, if you can edit this and fix the link to the larger image, feel free. For now, the workaround is the link below each image.
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
asavage
Site Admin

Re: Industrial LD 28 brochure

Post by asavage »

goglio704 wrote: :oops: Al, if you can edit this and fix the link to the larger image, feel free.
I gave you a bad example via email. Can't press <Enter> between the opening and closing tags. I didn't know that, and my example had the opening and closing [url] tags on different lines.

Anyway, I deleted the line breaks, and it works fine now.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

Hey all
Any way to get a high resolution copy of the second page? I can't read any of the info.

Thanks

Steve A
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Well, yes, but it's 16MiB right now:

https://asavage.dyndns.org/ftp/Nissan/LD28/Industrial/LD28-2_b.jpg

That's 14032 pixels wide. You'll be able to see details ;) Mozilla will take over your system until it finishes downloading, you are warned.

If you want something between 1000w & 14032w, pick a number and let me know, and I'll generate one.

Plans for the future are for me to implement an online rendering engine so you can pick your own size for this kind of thing. I need one badly for my "online manuals" project anyway, and I've been kicking the idea around for at least four years. It's easy to do with off-the-shelf freeware and some glue code, I just don't have enough demand/time to get it high enough up on my priorities list.
Regards,
Al S.

goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

I think I finally have pics of an LD28 in a forklift. It certainly has more than 4 cylinders!

EDIT: Not an LD28? SD something? Exhaust and intake manifolds on opposites sides of head! Strong family similarity to an LD though.

Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

TD42.
petrol LPG CNG version is TB42.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

goglio704 wrote:I think I finally have pics of an LD28 in a forklift. It certainly has more than 4 cylinders!

EDIT: Not an LD28? SD something? Exhaust and intake manifolds on opposites sides of head! Strong family similarity to an LD though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nissan-Model-80-Die ... dZViewItem
The forklift engine pictured is a TD42 (4.2L six) ... just like 'davehoos' says.

Front of engine is at the top of the picture where the radiator hose is. Intake and VE injection pump on the passenger side (were it mounted in an American passenger vehicle) and the exhaust on the 'driver' (opposit) side. Looks like a cam-in-block engine.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

TD family of engines replaces the SD.I think the newer version has a
QD or similar designation,sometimes this is more to do with marketing,
there is a newer engine family but some of the navara 4X4 cab chasis are fitted with a version of the old engine and electronic controls.the intake curls over the top of the rocker cover to give a racey look.

they come in 4 and 6 cyl.
2.3,2.5 2.7 and 2.7 turbo. 4 cyl
4.2 6 cyl.[new 4.8 multi valve gasoline version]

cross flow head.cam in block,pushrod.6 cyl uses chain drives.
4 cyl is cog driven.i cant remember how the 4 cyl oil pump works[its not the same].gasoline fuel pump runs of a cam on the back of the oil pump,i replace these very easily for low oil pressure when cold..
the fix for this is non genuine hi flow oil filters.

i have replace/rebuilt a number of patrol TD42/TB42 when new.faulty cam shaft and lifters,this can be picked up early as the valve adjustment is hard to get right..some more eng blocks had air bubbles in the castings.other than cracked alloy heads if over heated, these engines are long term beauty's.

had a few TD25 D21 dropped the dry cyl liners into the sump."the engine just lost power" , starts,runs,little extra smoke,but compression was up to specs.i was suprised that it was so quiet when you consider that several pistons had several mm extra clearance.the rings eat into the soft block.
i only picked up the failure draining the oil.lots of metal.

at the same time the 2.5 isuzu engine had problems,im guessing a sales race had streached production ability.these are not popular size engine here.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

davehoos wrote:TD family of engines -SNIP- come in 4 and 6 cyl.
2.3,2.5 2.7, 2.7 (turbo) and 4.2 6 cyl.

(Engine features) Cross flow head.cam in block, pushrod. -SNIP- 4 cyl has cog driven cam, oil pump, and IP. -SNIP-

I have replaced/rebuilt a number of patrol TD42/TB42 when new. Faulty cam shaft and lifters. This can be picked up early as the valve adjustment is hard to get right. Some engine blocks had air bubbles in the castings. Other than cracked alloy heads if over heated, these engines are long term beauties.

I had a few TD25 D21 drop their dry cyl liners into the sump."The engine just lost power", starts, runs, little extra smoke, but compression was up to specs. I was suprised that it was so quiet when you consider that several pistons had several mm extra clearance. The rings eat into the soft block. I only picked up the failure draining the oil. Lots of metal. -SNIP-
Dave: These engines have dry cylinder liners just like the SD series. The liners have an external ledge at the top to prevent liner movement once the head is installed.

So, for the liner to "drop down (toward) the sump", cylinder wear (taper) would have to have exceeded the cylinder liner thickness. That's pretty incredible! Piston knock/slap HAD to have been extraordinary. Did Nissan admit they had a batch of soft cylinder liners and then offer to fix individual engines?
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

davehoos

Post by davehoos »

all waranty outside of the[at that time] was 2yrs/20 000 km these are looked at case by case.often there is no requirement to use new parts to repair.i have replaced magor components from new vehicle damage or used for testing.some may have been old stock new cars then sold off as used.comercial vehicle rarely qualify.

never seen a service buleton for the nissan TD25,the reps often only tell you the company line.

the TD42/TB42 had a system of warranty upgrades.,the isuzu had a crank replacment program.have all services done at the dealer and no question asked.my friend recently bought a dual fuel mazda.it burnt out exhause valve under warranty period,common complaint.they offered free stock parts and owner to pay dealer labour.the labour price was more than a worked LPG cyl head.the company stastistics show no faults with the valves.

regased an a/c this month in a 1996 D22 TD27 that had an engine replaced at under 100000KM,they said it was stuffed.they just get a jap import engine for the cost of a cyl head rebuild.

as the liner drops it gets smashed into small pieces.i didnt hear any odd sounds.after the first one you automaticaly driveway diognose these problems.sometimes before its unloaded off the tow truck.the block goes in the scrap bin.

metal in the sump of new vehiles is normal.i have had to pull out stips of bearing metal stopping oil from draining out.most of these engine will do high milage.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

davehoos wrote:all waranty outside of the[at that time] was 2yrs/20 000 km these are looked at case by case.often there is no requirement to use new parts to repair.i have replaced magor components from new vehicle damage or used for testing.some may have been old stock new cars then sold off as used.comercial vehicle rarely qualify.

never seen a service buleton for the nissan TD25,the reps often only tell you the company line. SNIP

As the liner drops it gets smashed into small pieces.i didnt hear any odd sounds.after the first one you automaticaly driveway diognose these problems.sometimes before its unloaded off the tow truck.the block goes in the scrap bin.
It occurs to me that these BIZARE cylinder failures might also be from injesting muddy water ... repeatedly. What about that possibility?
davehoos wrote:Metal in the sump of new vehiles is normal.i have had to pull out stips of bearing metal stopping oil from draining out.most of these engine will do high milage.
"Normal?" NOT by the descriptions you have given. Some faint whispy silverish specks floating the oil drainings of a new vehicle is one thing. But fishing out chunks sufficient to impede oil draining is something entirely different.

What's your idea of "high mileage?"
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22