Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

plenzen

Post by plenzen »

I will crawl under the truck tomorrow and measure the pipe. I think it is 2" from the header to a piece of stainless braded flex. It then goes to a resonator and then to the muffler that it huge. It is bigger "in" than "out" for sure. I think 2" in and one and half out or one and seven eighths. I will get OD of the pipe and try and figure the ID. I know the bolts will break off if I try and separate it, but the last flange where it goes to the muffler I have had off and tried it with that disconnected. No difference by the way. This system on the 25 has a fair bit of back pressure I think, or at least is sounds like it. It is a relatively new system too (less than 2 yrs) and a genuine OE Nissan system. I think that relieving too much of the back pressure will drop the torque, at least it felt like that when I disconnected the muffler.

P
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

Paul: You too must have money to fritter away. :wink:
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

In defense of using OEM exhaust parts: within a year of purchasing my '82 Wagon w/86k orig. miles, the front resonator perforated. I lived with it for a couple of months, then ordered the complete headpipe & resonator from the local Nissan dealer. I have the receipt somewhere, but in 1997 it was about $130. Sure, I could have bought Walker components separately for half that much . . . but I changed the pipe with the OEM one in fifteen minutes and it all fit like it was designed to, no grunting, no minor tweaks, every hanger fit perfectly. I do not regret my decision.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Actually! DOD ( dear ol dad) had the new system installed just before I got the truck from him. He made the OE one last till 2005. Said it was starting to sound a bit "sporty" so he had it replaced. I had to put an extension on the tail pipe becasue the LR tail light was full of soot and you could not see it at all. OE pipe ends about 3 inches from where it should.

P
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN