no fuel to injectors

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

bashort

no fuel to injectors

Post by bashort »

Hi, I finally found a place that knows about the SD22.

Putting a SD22 in a ford Ranger and we have the engine in and had it running several times and we were just shutting it off by covering the air intake.

Then we we trying to figure out the pump controller and manually rotated the valve on the pump, the engine shut off but since then we have been unable to get the engine to restart again and we have a injector line off and we are getting no fuel when cranking. We are able to get fuel out of the bleeder valves with the hand pump.

I can find no information on the pump other than a serial #.

Thanks for any advice.
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

It is possible you have rotated the control to the off position and it stayed there.

Give me some time and i will try to relocate the thread about the pump control.

In the meantime, Does your truck still have any of the electronic controls still attached (on the fender and attached to the pump by the rod) ?
Last edited by dn29626 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
bashort

Post by bashort »

dn29626 wrote:
In the meantime, Does your truck still have any of the eletronic controls still attached (on the fender and attached to the pump by the rod) ?
Thanks for the reply, no all that we have is the engine but I did find a thread where it told how to use a rotary switch to work the controller.
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

bashort wrote:...no all that we have is the engine but I did find a thread where it told how to use a rotary switch to work the controller...
Please link that thread to this one so i can confirm it to be the thread i commented on or if i still need to search.

The IP control has three positions. 1)Off 2)Start 3) Run
Have you gotten your engine running again?

EDIT: I think there is also another one, but this will do.
http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopi ... sc&start=0
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
bashort

Post by bashort »

this is the thread

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopi ... c&start=15

no we have not got it running again.

Thanks
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

Go to the link i listed, page 5, the 11th post (the one with a picture of the IP). Using the picture for guidance, check the lever that has the cable attached to it. Move the lever towards the firewall , then towards the radiator. It should move easily and be spring loaded to go towards the radiator. You want it towards the radiator, the running position.
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
bashort

Post by bashort »

Finally found the problem. The fuel control rod stuck in the off position. We have got it freed up now and it is starting ok
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

bashort wrote:
dn29626 wrote:
In the meantime, Does your truck still have any of the eletronic controls still attached (on the fender and attached to the pump by the rod) ?
Thanks for the reply, no all that we have is the engine but I did find a thread where it told how to use a rotary switch to work the controller.
Although you previously stated "no, all that we have is the engine" , this response about the fuel control rod sounds like you do have part of the controls.

Glad you have it running again.
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
bashort

Post by bashort »

We do have the control motor, just not the parts that were on the fender.

The rod that was stuck was not the rod that attaches to the electric motor it it inside the injection pump.
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

How much more before the truck is finished and ready to go?

BTW-If you are willing to sell the control motor, quote me a price.
Last edited by dn29626 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
bashort

Post by bashort »

We have quite a bit of work left to do. The motor and transmission are mounted, new fuel lines are run and the engine now starts and runs.

We still have to figure out the drive shaft, connect the hydraulic clutch, get the radiator hoses adapted and connected, replace the glow plugs and figure out how we are going to use them. Need a air cleaner and some wiring.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

dn29626 wrote:BTW-If you are willing to sell the control motor, quote me a price.
Are you needing one of these?

I think I have two or three tested good used ones, and one brand-new one. I show some of them when testing them in this video from 2007.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

asavage wrote:
dn29626 wrote:BTW-If you are willing to sell the control motor, quote me a price.
Are you needing one of these?

I think I have two or three tested good used ones, and one brand-new one. I show some of them when testing them in this video from 2007.
Yes. Mine started making an awful screeching sound when i turn the ingition key to off position (the sound went away when i disconnected it). You are welcome to PM me if you prefer to separate us from this thread.
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009