Acquired late Spring 2007, ~163k miles. I've driven it maybe 200 miles since I bought it. It has a long list of needed repairs, but it needs to be whipped into shape to drive to LA in seven weeks.
Over summer 2007:
- I got the remote starter and keyless entry installed and working, including programming switch and antenna.
- Replaced aftermarket stereo with a stock unit that works much better.
- Lobotomized the PRNDL/brake interlock so I can shift without regard to the brake pedal. The shift tubes are weak on the later ('92-on) Aero AT shifters, with every single one in the JY broken or gone. I've replaced a couple on clients' cars over the years, knew I didn't want the interlock because you yank on the shifter every once in a while and are pulling against the interlock.
- Checked brakes: like new all around.
- Changed engine oil/filter, greased front end.
- Replaced fuel pump & sender -- it was working OK but was noisy. Appeared to be Ford part, though there's evidence that the tank has been down before. Ford sure did improve the tank and shield mounting between '89 and '93: it's a much better thing to deal with on the later one. I had the '89's down three times, and I remember it well.
- Replaced both u-joints with severe duty -- shudder on decel, found rear joint notchy. New joints have zerks on the cap ends, very nice.
- Changed diff oil. Open diff. Some fuzz on magnetic fill plug and magnet on plastic cover. The cover is glued on and is supposed to be replaced when removed, but I've never replaced one yet. Four cans of aerosol carb cleaner to get the black off all exposed surfaces. Oil was clean before, surprisingly. AMSOil 75-140 Severe Duty oil, two quarts exactly. Eventually, I'll put the Trak-Loc rear end in, but it's not likely to happen in 2007
- Heated and pulled back into place the tailpipe. Someone had backed into something, pushed the tailpipe into the RR coil spring, where it was rubbing and making racket.
- Drained & refilled cooling system many times, still getting brown paint out. The Prestone "heavy scale" remover flush wants 5-6 hours of drive time before rinse, so I need to get some of these other issues out of the way. Don't want to replace the heater core yet either, don't want to run brown paint through it. New radiator is waiting for same reason.
- $10 at car wash, all in engine compartment.
- Replaced LR bumper brace with JY part I picked up months ago.
- Stared for a long time at the new Valley 73700 Class III receiver hitch I bought a long time ago. It's supposed to fit both std. and extended Aeros. Doesn't all that well -- I don't like how far to the rear it all mounts, it exerts force too far away from where there is more steel.. Will have to cut up the floor like on my old grey '89 and drop nut plates in to do a decent tie-in to the frame. Will get longer G5 1/2" bolts tomorrow.
(for my own use)
167,651 = oil change, almost 4k miles on 5W30 AMSOil. I grease every-other oil change, so I don't have to grease this time.
PS fluid noticeably darker than new (4k ago).
Info: WP part No. on casting is RF-F57E-8505-CC
Replaced rear (trans) crossmember.