LD20 TURBO

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

GussKiller

LD20 TURBO

Post by GussKiller »

i was wondering if I can put a turbo on my 1981 bluebird with LD20 engine.
can be done??
Last edited by GussKiller 16 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Hi, Guss:

Could you take a minute and update your Profile (click on "Profile" at the top of any page) and add at least the Location info? Maybe add some info about your 910 Bluebird for your Signature, so we always know what you've got.

I'm guessing you are perhaps in Australia? Or at least not in the Americas. We barely know what a Bluebird is :roll:

Member davehoos should be along any time now to answer your Q. He has worked with the LD20 and Four cylinder 910 stuff, whereas I've never seen one.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
GussKiller

Post by GussKiller »

asavage wrote:Hi, Guss:

Could you take a minute and update your Profile (click on "Profile" at the top of any page) and add at least the Location info? Maybe add some info about your 910 Bluebird for your Signature, so we always know what you've got.

I'm guessing you are perhaps in Australia? Or at least not in the Americas. We barely know what a Bluebird is :roll:

Member davehoos should be along any time now to answer your Q. He has worked with the LD20 and Four cylinder 910 stuff, whereas I've never seen one.
done
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

910 has a factory turbo with the early chain drive engine.
i have a few engines.im guessing these are not common now.they come out of vans,light trucks and taxi's up till the mid 1980's in many countries.

there is a metal pipe from the turbo to the air intake pipe that is close to the possition of the non turbo pipe above the alternator.
you wont need the muffler box that the non turbo use.
i though about using an aircleaner off a S12 silvia CA18ET as the pipe would go straight into the turbo with a short pipe.engine mounts should be the same and the engine pipe needs to be remade to suit the turbo outlet.i fitted a 2 inch pipe back to the first resonator near the gear box.

the belt drive engine LD20II will need the radiator hoses modified as they come out on the left side.i dont think the fan is in the same possition i planed to use electric fan as i found the mechanical fan zapped power when cold.
910 has the belt drive engine in taxi and commercial models but no turbo models.flywheel is different on the LD20II,the van sump is larger so i had to take out a chunk.

if your engine is in good order,i would put a turbo and manifolds off a chain drive or a belt drive.have a look at photos on line of engines for sale as they come in a few different shapes.the manifolds will bolt on and you need a brace at the bottom of the turbo to stop it flexing.
you need an oil drain back pipe from the turbo that goes into the sump and an oil line around to the oil pressure switch.the engines i have do not have water cooling for the turbo but this is easy to fit.i also recomend an oil accumilator-oil continues to run in after the engine has topped tio reduce cooking the bearings.

can you post photos.910 LD20T was sold in germany
or RHD in japan.i havnt seen any in japan my self so my guess is they got exported to third world in early 90's.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

japanese list the 910 bluebird as being sold in the usa-i know it wasnt in north america.you had a stanza with 2 liter engine.[for emision reasons]

have a bluebird 2 door plastic 1/24th model with california number plates.the australian TRX[not SSS] has flags of the major markets that the bluebird is sold.incl USA.

wikipedia lists the 810/maxima as a G910.this was one of the first things i tryed to work out when i joined the forum.the VIN number makes no sence for me.its in a different format.the first shape 810 was sold in japan but not as a 810.ive looked at these for import.

910 fitted with Z16.
R910 =ca16
P910 =Z18
U910=ca18
Y910=Z20 [Y910 in australia is ca20S its probably a Z20 CKD car with a locally made engine].
E910=LD20
T910=L16
N910=L20B
add to this list as there is more i havnt got a listing on.L18 [180B]etc.

i looked at fitting a BMC/nissan based engine to a 910 bluebird-MG/woolsley type specs,these had been very common as a kid.
i havnt bothered due to the CA engine being ok.,ive been looking at another forum that is showing info on latin american built datsun cars with these industrial type engines.
Last edited by davehoos 16 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

910 Bluebird was never sold in the USA. Nissan added 2.5 inches to the nose (between the trailing edge of the front wheel arch and the leading edge of the front door) to accommodate the 2.4L gas engine and later the 2.8L diesel engine and re-badged the car 810 (then Maxima) for the US in 81 (first model year for the re-designed 810 (910).

I have that model kit too. Painted it to match my car. Yes it has CA plates in the kit, but it is unrealistic because the car was never available here as a 4-banger powered Bluebird. Front end design is different as well.
GussKiller

Post by GussKiller »

i think that in my country only the diesel version came.