eBay (MO): 1987 D21 conversion SD22 PROJECT

Buy it, sell it, negotiate, haggle, drag it out from under the workbench or behind the garage and make it someone else's problem!

Moderators: glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

philip
Deceased

eBay (MO): 1987 D21 conversion SD22 PROJECT

Post by philip »

Auction 220189338376, End time: Jan-12-08 15:46:47 PST
THIS VEHICLE IS CURRENTLY NOT RUNNING, PLEASE READ FULLY TO GET AN IDEA OF ITS CONDITION AND AILMENTS. This is a 1986 Nissan pickup that has an SD22 Nissan Diesel I believe out of an early 80s truck installed. I purchased the vehicle several months ago from the individual who did the swap. At the time it ran great, may have had a minor air leak from some old rubber fuel lines, but once started, smoothed out with a puff of white smoke. We welded a receiver hitch on and I towed a rental car about 160 miles home with the truck. During the trip is did not overheat, leak, or burn any oil, it delivered good power, tracked straight, and generally worked just great. The clutch worked well, and it shifts well in all 5 gears. When I arrived, I shut the truck off, and it has never started or cranked again. It is suffering from an electrical problem that is preventing power turning the starter. I figured no big deal, planning to diagnose it later and fire it up. Unfortunately, it has become blatantly clear that the previous owner's level of workmanship in the swap was lacking. I have been very busy, and do not have the time to deal with this vehicle, as I dont want to just fix it enough so that It starts and I can drive it. I wanted to do it right and rewire most of the vehicle, with the result that It has sat for a long time. I am now selling it because it really is a nice little truck, and the ugly stuff seems to be mostly the wiring, mechanically he did an OK job. The motor is in there straight, and it rolls and drives just fine when running. The body itself is in near mint condition, with the exception of some damage to the driver side front fender and signal light. It has a spray on bed liner, and NO rust anywhere. The tires are OK mounted on nice rims. It is a 2 wheel drive variant, and has nice tinting well done all around. The engine looks in decent condition, and as I said, ran just fine up until it would not start. It will need to be towed or shipped from this location, it has a clear title and is ready for someone to resurrect it.
I contacted the SELLER and he emailed back ...
Dear philip_otr,

I have actually taken a look at the forum. The information you guys have is incredible. unfortunately I just do not have the time to educate myself enough to make me an expert so I can undo everything he did and redo it. At this point I am in a position where I need to offload multiple vehicles for space reasons, and I want this truck to go on and be used rather than sit here waiting for me to have time for an additional number of months. Hopefully one of you Nissan diesel gearheads pick it up.
Image Image Image

(more pics at auction)
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Sold for $2,275.
TruckA

Post by TruckA »

Wow, $2275, maybe I should sell mine. But, I like it too much.
1984 Nissan 720 4x4 gasser converted to SD22 diesel power, now with boost
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS daily driver
1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max Turbo for fun -Sold-
Raleigh, NC
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

It's been relisted (high bidder flaked):
Auction 22019428007, ends Jan-27-08 21:41:30 PST

As Philip points out, Seller now has a video several minutes long of him driving the truck and talking non-stop. I didn't make it to the end, but then again, I'm not interested in buying it. Someone who is, would be.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

nissan diesel was said at 8:20, I only was able to make it to the end by skipping sections, the drone was terrible
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
dropnosky

Post by dropnosky »

I am the seller, and I am here to defend my name in the interest of boredom and monotony.
yeah, the video is extremely boring and less about the truck than me talking, I apologize. Unfortunately the guy who shot it does a lot of video work and stays on the speaker instead of showing the car. He edited it and put it up and it can not be changed easily. Next time I will either get him to shoot the vehicle or get a buxom blond for the speaker.

Sorry about that, as an ebayer wrote me: "dude, you make one ugly movie star! how about hour video of truck!"

Oh well, at least you know it runs and drives and I try and discuss most of the problems. I dont want anyone coming into this without full knowledge.

Next time, he and I are going to have a talk about the real subject of the ad. It went for too much last time, I am not looking to sell this thing a get a dozen phone calls as they discover problems.

But you at least have to give me the credit for the fact that this is in addition to a normal description, the video is not meant to carry the ad.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

dropnosky wrote:"dude, you make one ugly movie star! how about hour video of truck!"
Because I wasn't really interested in buying the rig, I only watched a couple of minutes, but you look fine to me (FWIW).
Next time, he and I are going to have a talk about the real subject of the ad.
Probably a good idea.
It went for too much last time, I am not looking to sell this thing a get a dozen phone calls as they discover problems.
It's worth what someone is willing to pay. You couldn't pay someone to do that conversion work for that price (probably).
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:It's been relisted (high bidder flaked):
Auction 22019428007, ends Jan-27-08 21:41:30 PST.
I watched the man's whole video. The technicals left some to desired (audio, views, and especially the length (limit to 1 minute)) but .... but ... the man conveyed the most HONEST sale you could ask for without the potential buyer being there.

How about having a buxom female driving around and the gears while you talk about the truck? :wink: You could do the video in less than 45 seconds and potential buyers would run it several times. :wink:
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

dropnosky

Post by dropnosky »

Next time I will be holding open auditions and doing a voice over! that might move the cost of the video out of the "free" realm however.

Check out this ebay email I received on the truck- The guy is hilariously insulting, and obviously there is a core of truth to what he says, but I leave it to you guys to tell me if he knows as much as he think he does-

"Dude,you one ugly movie star!!! How bout 8 min. film showing motor conversion??? No joke!! Is diesel inj. pump controler wireing loom conected to a black box???? Running a diesel motor without air filter,is bad news!! filter housing shown(blue) is from gas, not a sd2.2. Original is round pipe running to a round and vertical mounted canister.Is radiator hoses ,top left, bottom right?? Air compressor mounted?? vaccum pump behind altrnator?? power stering pump mounted??? Previous owner name and phone#. where in okla. did it come from?? okla. title?? Better motor pictures PLEASE!!!!???THANKS BDC"

Kind of feel like hes not too knowledgeable on these trucks, but I am not in a position to debate whether or not he is accurate, but black box for a mechanical diesel sends up warning signals.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

No, BDC's Qs are right on, including the black box (DPC Module) that controls the IPC motor down under the IP -- these are the parts that your pull-cable replaced. He is trying to determine if the raw parts are there to make it work like stock -- rounding up the DPC Module and IPC motor can run a couple hundred bux for working, used units -- I know, I've sold some of them.

The vac pump on the back of the alternator Q would tell him if the power brakes are being fed vacuum, as that is usually the only vacuum source on a diesel, and if the alternator isn't an SD version with the integrated vacuum pump (ie it's a special alternator), that could again run much money to sort out correctly.

He's only half right on the air filter, because there were actually two different air filter setups on the 720 SDs (A/C and non-A/C).

And he's right about driving around without air intake filtration.

I, too, would want to see more details on the conversion (A/C compressor mounting and hoses routing; PS hookup and brackets), if I were seriously interested in bidding on the truck.

The only thing I might fault BDC for is his poor language skills, but the Qs he asks are right on target.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

dropnosky wrote:Next time I will be holding open auditions and doing a voice over! that might move the cost of the video out of the "free" realm however. -snip
My Q's:

Tell me about the video/audio camera. What did you use to muffle the audio? From inside a metal can (cab), hearing the exhaust sound and the driver talking while driving came thru well (but for wind) !
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

dropnosky

Post by dropnosky »

that whole deal was shot on a cell phone spur of the moment. We used nothing to muffle the audio. It was some kind of setup that let the footage be imported into editing programs apparently. It also can be used as a digital camera and for remote internet access. Dont ask me how much the thing costs!

so that guy was legit? huh!

Oh well, I still do not regret banning him from the auction, however correct, he was so abrasive that I did not want to get into any financial situation with whoever he/she was.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

dropnosky wrote:that whole deal was shot on a cell phone spur of the moment. We used nothing to muffle the audio. It was some kind of setup that let the footage be imported into editing programs apparently. It also can be used as a digital camera and for remote internet access. Dont ask me how much the thing costs!
Oh fer pete's sake! I tried that with my cell phone ... it lasts only 14 seconds per video. I do have a digital camera (has video too) which can run 3000 seconds (50 minutes). 4meg pixels camera.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

dropnosky wrote:that whole deal was shot on a cell phone spur of the moment.
Pretty damned good for a cell phone camera!
so that guy was legit? huh!
His Qs were pertinent, and largely the same ones I would have asked. Whether he was truly interested in being educated or just being an ass, I can't say. I take his missive as exasperation rather than intentional abrasiveness.
Oh well, I still do not regret banning him from the auction, however correct, he was so abrasive that I did not want to get into any financial situation with whoever he/she was.
You are not obligated to sell to anyone who tries to make you feel uncomfortable. However, one man's constructive criticism is another's diatribe.
Regards,
Al S.

dropnosky

Post by dropnosky »

this is the cell phone model-

Nokia N93, apparently an 8-900 dollar phone when it came out.