IP warm up

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

elbow

IP warm up

Post by elbow »

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to boost the idle on my diesel kiki IP on my LD20 during engine warm up? My old VW rabbit had a push pull cable to do this but dont see anything like that on this one, even though the two pumps look very similar. Bob
LD20 in my 4x4
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The manual advancer cable on your Rabbit advanced the pump's timing 2.5° when you pulled it. It did not push more fuel.

I believe that the CSD's idle prop function can be adjusted. Do you have a Maxima FSM yet?

The CSD both props the idle, and advances the timing (but only up to a certain RPM; the CSD has no effect at higher RPMs).
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
elbow

advance

Post by elbow »

oh, I should get a maxima fsm? no I dont have one.
LD20 in my 4x4
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The Maxima FSM will have a good deal that pertains to your LD20, but you'll have to temper its advice with what's in front of you.

Are you using the generic LD manual?
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
elbow

IP

Post by elbow »

yes exactly, I have that very manual but its not very detailed.
LD20 in my 4x4
elbow

pump

Post by elbow »

Al, can u tell me what that vacuum pump came out of because my vanes dont fit. I,ll try to find ones for it. Bob
LD20 in my 4x4
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The baggie the parts are in is labelled (some year Maxima? Perhaps I sent you an SD pump by misteak).

I'll pull a complete vacuum pump assy. off one of my alternators and ship it Monday.
Regards,
Al S.

elbow

vac.

Post by elbow »

Al, bag says diesel maxima no year. I love this pump its almost twice the size of mine. Bob
LD20 in my 4x4
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

LD20-pre 1985.
there is no fast idle or cold start[timing] change.
there is a fast idle for the a/c.and hand throttle on the pedal.

on the IP is a lever to suit a second throttle cable.that will rev the engine to about half throttle,i guessed that this was for the rare cruise control but ive seen other nissan engines with hand throttle conected to here.

my rd28 taxi has a vac fast idle conected to this lever using a short cable like a VG30ET/subaru cruise control.it is conected into the engine control and it not listed in the WSM.im guessing its an auto cold start-vac is supplied by the alt through a criuse control like valve cluster.ive seen this same setup on import engines.im guessing its an option for cold areas and comercial vehicles as it suits the type of engines i get.on other brands of engines i see VSV added in to the a/c fast idle circuit using a switch un the dash and water temp.

LD20II has timing change/fast idle cold start.
-most are cable operated,it moves the throttle like the maxima.in the parts manuals they have a water heated auto cold start on FWD cars[bluebird].ive not seen one.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
elbow

cold start

Post by elbow »

thanks Dave, I'll rig my own cable.
LD20 in my 4x4
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Bob, can you send me (or post) any pics of this engine and IP?
elbow

IP

Post by elbow »

yes, can you tell me how to post a picture? I have a digital camra and know how to put the pics on my desk top. but not sure how to post on this site.
LD20 in my 4x4
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Read this post first.

If that doesn't make sense, upload them here, then PM me to let me know you did.