Google fails me

Ongoing discussion of anything not related to Nissans or diesels.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

asavage
Site Admin

Google fails me

Post by asavage »

While it's usually true that, using a search engine, you can find multiple answers for most any Q you pose -- some of them even correct -- the failures are sometimes surprising.

I mean, I was only mildly surprised to find that I couldn't find out how to search the Bill-To field in a QuickBooks Sales Receipt field (and a standing Google Answers prize of $50 did not entice anyone else to find it, either), somewhat more surprised that I was unable to locate a single distributor in the US for an Ilco/Silca Yanmar "YAR1" key blank (I have to order 1000 of them from Italy?) . . .

. . . But, today, I struck out attempting to find the lyrics to the Robin Williamson tune, First Girl I Loved, as sung by Judy Collins (covered as First Boy I Loved) on the Who Knows Where the Time Goes (1968) album.

I am used to esoterica being unavailable for free on the web, but pop tunes lyrics (even pop tunes from 40 years ago)?? Now that's a surprise. Of course, it's a slow enough tale that "official" song lyrics aren't probably necessary, but that's not the point. If I want to quote them, why type them if I could copy-n-paste, probably more accurately?

Another, sadder, surprise was learning that the Judy Collins site no longer hosts forums. I hadn't read nor posted there since . . . probably 1999, but I had done a couple of lovely write-ups, including some pics, and wanted to see if I could quote myself, but the forums are apparently gone. Sniff.
Last edited by asavage 16 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
philip
Deceased

Re: Googe fails me

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:-snip-
Another, sadder, surprise was learning that the Judy Collins site no longer hosts forums. I hadn't read nor posted there since . . . probably 1999, but I had done a couple of lovely write-ups, including some pics, and wanted to see if I could quote myself, but the forums are apparently gone. Sniff.
That's like finding something you want on SALE ... at WalMart. Better buy it when you see it because you won't ever see it again. :wink: :roll:

I want you to know that mini-strokes happen before you have the Big Stroke. Methinks "esoteric" an example of mini-strokes. :wink:
Last edited by philip 16 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
TooManyIdeas

Post by TooManyIdeas »

Um, who's Judy Collins?
82 Datsun 720 King Cab Diesel - FOR SALE !!!!
85 Chevy Monte Carlo CL
90 Toyota Pickup -SOLD
05 Kia Spectra 5
02 Dodge Dakota Quadcab
-OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH YEAH!!!!!
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

TooManyIdeas wrote:Um, who's Judy Collins?
About the age of you mother. Still interested?

2002 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE2QU3jS_Fo

1991 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUnPR245YNs
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Can't find those lyrics, though.

I do own, oh, WKWTTG (vinyl), Wildflowers (vinyl), and Fires of Eden (CD), but no lyrics to "First Boy I Loved". Hmmph. In the age of the Internet, even.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Who is Judy Collins :!: :!: :!: :!: That is like asking who is Randal Mario Poffo (Randy Savage) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Pauly found the lyrics on the MTV site (supplied by Gracenote).

And, as I suspected, the lyrics are too poetic to make sense to me. Like reading the lyrics to Yes tunes. I think you have to be tight to derive meaning from some of this stuff.