Oil Filter conversion

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Xnke

Oil Filter conversion

Post by Xnke »

I'm looking at converting the LD28 block to gasoline, and am having trouble figuring out the oil filter mount. I don't have the block in my hands yet, so i can't actually measure anything.

Does anyone know if the L28et oil cooler plate will fit over the oil filter mounting face on the LD28? Or do i just need to tap the block to install an oil filter stud?
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

While I can't answer your Q, I will note that the LD28s (all that came in Maximas, anyway) have a factory oil cooler stock.

There are some decent pics and diagrams of the early and late Maxima LD28 oil coolers in this thread.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
DMS

short answer yes

Post by DMS »

As Al Savage mentioned the LD28 engines came with oil coolers. I have bought 3 engines that were obviously not from any US model Maximas and they have the oil to water oil cooler.

As far as the L28et cooler... Yes it will bolt on in the same fashion. You will need the bolts and the center pipe that threads into the block from the L28et oil cooler. The LD28 block has all 4 bolt holes and they are already tapped.
Ray