LD20-II injector pump seals

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

shaun

LD20-II injector pump seals

Post by shaun »

hi guys, hope i can squeze some info from you's :D
ive got myself a 1987 Nissan Vanette gen 2.
it's running a LD20-II diesel engine (not the turbo...that's the LD20T i think)

but about 8 years back they changed the diesel fuel mixture, and hence we get this stuff called "low sulphur diesel"...umm well this has kinda screwed my fuel system seals over :(
over the years they seem to have deteriorated and now there is diesel all over the injector side of the engine. so on long trips you can smell the vapour comming off the hot engine.

so i need a seal kit...and i dont know where to get one from...reckon i should try ripco? (repco)
and do i really need to remove the engine from the vanette to do the job..cause removing the engine seems like a BIG job but so does trying to replace seals down that side of the engine :? :shock:

while the engine is out i'll do the timbing belt aswell.

is there anything else i should do to the engine while it's out of the van?
and is there any seal kit you goys would recomend?
is there a better engine (diesel) that will fit in there from other cars?
what number is on the injector pump?

hope you can help me :)
shaun
1987 Nissan Vanette LD20-II
first car
shaun

Post by shaun »

i had a breakthrough today....

i get told that to convert the engine to run on this ghey low sulphur diesel...all i need is the injector seals, nothing for the pump...is this correct?
if it is i will be STOKED!! cause that means i dont need to drop the engine :D

ARE THERE ANY OTHER SEALS THAT I NEED TO REPLACE besides the injector ones?
cause there is diesel all over that side of the engine and i wanna make sure i order all the bits at once.
shaun
first car
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

Looks like your next step will be to clean the engine well and then, after running it long enough to produce the leaking, inspect the possible problem areas (IP, fuel hoses, lift pump, and possibly in your case, injectors) to pinpoint where the leaking fuel is originating from. Does your vehicle have rubber injector return lines?

How reputable was the source of the injector seal solution?
shaun

Post by shaun »

the sorce of the seal solution is a long old tale downm here and seems to ring true in many cases...
a few years ago they changed to 50ppm low sulphur diesel, this was just bad...but at the start of this year australia changed to 10ppm low sulphur diesel...and about 1 month after is when the leaking started!

will clean her down with degreaser and take a looksi as soon as possible :)
first car
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

shaun wrote:the sorce of the seal solution is a long old tale downm here and seems to ring true in many cases... a few years ago they changed to 50ppm low sulphur diesel, this was just bad.
I disagree. Google "acid rain". Sulfur in petrodiesel is a major contributor. Sulfur + water + sunlight = sulfuric acid = acid rain.

The removal of much of the sulfur in petrodiesel also allows for practical, long-lived exhaust catalytic converters that can effectively deal with the diesel's high NOx emissions without the performance degradation of high levels of EGR. For that, I say that ULSD is overdue.

Biodiesel, BTW, contains NO sulfur.
..but at the start of this year australia changed to 10ppm low sulphur diesel...and about 1 month after is when the leaking started!
Well known problem. It isn't the sulfur removal that cause the leakage, it's that the process used by refiners to convert high-sulfur crude oil into low sulfur diesel also strips out some lighter hydrocarbons that were keeping seals in the fuel injection system swollen.

We don't know the Vanette in the US, more's the pity. The Maxima (Bluebird, 910) has a difficult to service IP too, but at least you have good access to the top of it in the Maxima. In the Vanette, it must be much more difficult.

The LD2x engines use a licensed-from-Bosch version of the VE-style IP, and I would venture that they will ALL have to be rebuilt or resealed in the coming couple of years, or suffer leaks.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
rhcp

timing

Post by rhcp »

Can u help me with my timing? where can u buy a timing belt w/ the markings? How do u time this engine? I have a LD20-II in a Nissian 4x4 ( not original) Im about to scrap this project if I cant time it PLEASE help if u can. I have the LD20 manual it shows marks on the belt and the pullys only...

ANdrew