Question on return fuel line and alternator

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

On a properly working IP, I don't think that you can plug the return line.

The internal lift pump is supposed to move much more fuel than the engine uses; the excess is dumped out the return line port. If you try to plug that port, the port will rise to quite a high pressure.

The IP's internals can probably see a bit over 100 PSI in normal operation.

(reference: this post.)
Reading from a 1984 Toyota L/2L/2L-T FSM, part of the IP test procedure for a similar VE-style IP (upon rebuild) is to check the housing pressure at various RPMs.

Yup, that's 104 PSI peak @ 4400 engine RPM.

One consequence of plugging the return line is that the IP's internal advancing mechanism will fail to operate (assuming it's still working). The mechanism depends upon a differential of pressure across the timer piston. The return line is the "low" side of this differential.

Also, return line flow carries any debris away from the IP and back to the tank, to be caught by the filter system. Think wear particles.

So, merely plugging the line would not be a good thing to do.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
JasperG

Post by JasperG »

Thanks Al. I got it fired up and once we bleed it, the truck ran near perfect. guess I got the IP timing right!
Now Im fighting an old pressure problem, check my new post if you get time. Gordo