LD 28 Marine Application

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

showags

LD 28 Marine Application

Post by showags »

Just wondering if anyone has worked on a LD 28 in a marine application. I have one scattered on my shop floor. Had water intrusion from exhaust manifold.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Welcome showags

There was at least one member who had issues with an LD28 (IIRC) in his boat which were discussed here about 3 years ago. If you try searching "marine" I think you'll find some threads.

A couple of ways to grease the info wheel: It helps to include in your "member profile" your general location, as that makes a difference to parts sourcing among other things. And I think your post might receive wider viewing if you create a new topic with a specific subject header (something with "marine" in it) which highlights particular questions you might have.

I own a wagon with an LD28 and also a boat but so far there is no intersection... So I can't help with marine LD28 specifics. However, I suspect that it may be worth the considerable effort it can take to locate marine manuals. As far as I know there are none available here, neither as links nor documents. Perhaps if you PM'd the member with the marine LD you might get lucky - I'm not sure he had a manual either, but he may have good leads. If you do find some literature it would be great if you posted links. Al (our host) used to provide a means to upload documents, but I don't know if he still has the time for that.

Regards,

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Off the top of my search, here are a few LD28M threads:

Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3
Thread 4
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
LD28 Owner

Post by LD28 Owner »

I'm interested in hearing about the condition of the engine after the water intrusion. The situation you have is not that unusual and is a result of bad design of the water jacketed, cast iron exhaust elbow. All that keeps water out of the exhaust manifold is a gasket and the cast iron wall between the water jacket and the exhaust elbow. Once the cast iron wall is gone, the raw cooling water (often salt water) is dumped into the top of the exhaust manifold.

The exhaust elbow is NLA. Marine Manifold, 134 Verdi St, Farmingdale, NY makes a great replacement copper exhaust elbow for about $700. I installed one on my boat and it improved the cooling system (engine runs cooler) and gives me peace of mind. The cast iron wall between the cooling jacket and the exhaust outlet was about half gone at the gasket face -- I was about 1/8th of an inch of cast iron from salt water in the exhaust manifold and, to keep me worried, the design has salt water sitting in that cooling jacket even when the the engine is at rest.

Bottom line: In addtion to what ever it costs to get the engine repaired, you'll face the cost of replacing the exhaust elbow (I got an estimate from another fabricator for a $1000 stainless steel unit).

I have a copy of the Nissan LD 28 marine manual but there is really not much to it. It's really just an operations manual but does have some information on the cooling system and and a wiring diagram.

The best source for information on putting your engine back together is this NissanDiesel forum.