IP belt removal? 82 datsun maxima (810) diesel

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

kamakazidreamer

IP belt removal? 82 datsun maxima (810) diesel

Post by kamakazidreamer »

Okay i have the original manual for the car but i cannot for the life of me find out were it tells me step by step or picture by picture of how to get the cover off so i can actually see the IP belt. I noticed that its connected to the belt wheel in front by allen wrenche bolts (6 i think) with a big nut in the middle. Do i just take off the allen bolts and then the belt wheel will come off so i can then remove the cover to the IP belt area? i tryed to look at this thread

IP belt

but the guy already had the engine out so he obviously had more room to work with than i do at the moment. Can someone help me hopefully with pictures of some kind on how to get into the cover were the IP belt is?

thank you in advance,

Dan.[/gotopost]
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

Yes, you're on the right track. The pulley is removed by removing the allen bolts. The large nut in the middle secures the hub to the crank. That is normally only removed when replacing the crank seal.

The pulley needs to be treated with respect. Don't pry against it or you will likely detach the outer belt ring from the inner section. They are joined by rubber. Old, brittle rubber at this point.

The pulley is also known as a harmonic balancer, but in this engine it really doesn't balance anything. The rubber section absorbs some vibration from the crank and prevents it from being transferred to the belt driven accessories.
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD