LD20/T

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

jag7720

LD20/T

Post by jag7720 »

I'm interested in putting an LD20T in my Datsun 510.

I have never seen this engine so I have a few questions.

Do you know if the tranny bolt pattern on the LD20 is the same as a L20B (gas)?

Where can I get my hands on one of these engines?

Has anyone ever done this swap?

Any info would be great

Thanks
Jason
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

If you can find an LD20T, I think it will likely bolt up to your FS5W71 transmission, or the older 4-spd. AFAICT, the bolt pattern is identical. The motor mount locations may even be identical. What a cool swap!

However, this engine was never exported to the US market. And I do not know if the later LD20IIT is the same bolt pattern, though it's likely. Due to the turbo, the engine bay may get tight in the area adjacent to the brake booster and steering gearbox -- I don't think the LD engines were ever installed in a chassis with recirculating-ball steering boxes. But a local (Seattle, anyway) has stuffed an SRR20DET into a 510, and there was room. I also saw a VG30 in a 510, and that was very tight but didn't require cutting into the shock towers.

There was a fellow in Florida who was the LD20s for a while, I think he had a T at one time a year or so ago, but I can't find him selling anything on eBay now -- and his rep wasn't all that hot.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

2 types LD20

the old one is the same as a chain drive LD28.they sell these as industrial engines new.waterpump is a one piece fan assemble.the drive pulley is and equal to one belt forward compared to a petrol[gas in nissan speak is CNG/LPG] and if it has power steer it is onepiece machined.it uses the L20B block beefed up and the turbo have oil sprays..i think its taller than the ld28.the engine mount on the right is a hassel due the injector pump but i used an original 510-1600 mount to fit it to a CA20 910..

but the sump and oil pick up is the same as the petrol.the block has 3 holes for the oil dip stick.most diesels are at the front.the turbo return is in the RF sump and has a T piece for the alternator.the cedric engine is ideal if you can find one.normally in southeast asia.the cedric normally uses LD28 and SD23 but in some countries there are tax restrictions for over 2 liters.910 in europe use turbo as an extra on 910.fwd is latter engine.

LD20II rubber belt drive L20B.largo coach is a good choice as is european fwd.
oil pump is on the crankshaft same as modern nissans.the oil pick up is at the front.the sump is the same sump with a bit added to allow for the pickup.very hard to modify.fwd can be deep and thin at front.to give room in the middle.
these come in several versions.fwd,rear wheel drive and turbo on both.lots of versions for different models.you have to count teeh of the timing belt to get the right model.injector pump is fitted at 2 different hights.vans normally use the low mount. the fwd parts manual clearly shows a high mount Ipump level with the head and the oil filter hoizontal allowing the petrol engine mounts.the flywheel boss has added center guide so the auto flex plate fit directly on.newer nissan clutches look backwards.the fly wheel is extended the disc is inside this cavity and the cover has a large hole with an odd trust bearing.these are not hard to get but the one i got was less than 200 mm dia.
i cut the guide of with hand saw and fiited a ld28 like flywheel.it hasnt fallen off.
fwd is the best one to get.the water pumps are different on just about ever motor ive seen.normall they have a short rubber hose into the pump to a joiner.these have an air bleed.with a fwd the hose runs under the exhaust and the return water hoses feed into it.the rwd the adaptor aims down [its on the left] and return water feeds in all over the place and van enjines have extra water manifolds to feed water to several heaters and oil heat exchanges.
these engine rarely have the front air intake like the 810 they do exist.

buy one in europ and ship it.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

davehoos wrote:LD20II rubber belt drive.
I think that Dave means that, on the LD20II, the toothed belt drives the camshaft, unlike the cam chain drive on the original LD20 and the LD28. See the pictures here.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

get some picturesfor you
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

asavage wrote:
davehoos wrote:LD20II rubber belt drive.
I think that Dave means that, on the LD20II, the toothed belt drives the camshaft, unlike the cam chain drive on the original LD20 and the LD28. See the pictures here.
You know, now that I look at that small picture from the French site I don't think it's a six cylinder motor, it clearly is a four cylinder engine. D'oh!

steve
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

i think the photo is an italian engine might be a VM out of a rover.

when i looked at different pages it showed the same engine.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »