WTB: 620 or 720 Diesel Pickup

Buy it, sell it, negotiate, haggle, drag it out from under the workbench or behind the garage and make it someone else's problem!

Moderators: glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

ventureforth

WTB: 620 or 720 Diesel Pickup

Post by ventureforth »

Hi all:

First post on these forums. I am currently in the market for a Datsun 620 or 720 Diesel Pickup. My intention is to convert it to run on SVO/WVO using an Elsbett system. I am in Southern California, but may be willing to travel for a great find.

Any advice on other great resources to find these vehicles for sale would also be much appreciated. (aside from eBay, of course)

Thanks for all of your help.

Regards,

Trip

p.s.
I would also consider picking up a gasser version, but am not sure how much work/expense would go into swapping a diesel into it. If anyone has any advice on that subject...I'd love to hear it.
ventureforth

Post by ventureforth »

Oh...and you can email me at:

trip.gould@gmail.com
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Hello, Trip, and Welcome to our Sandbox!

Swapping the SD2x and its transmission into a gasser 2WD should be a snap, and is what a friend of mine (to whom I sold a very rusty '82 KC diesel) is planning on doing. It may even be a bolt-in.

The SD is reputed to not need injector modifications to run satisfactorily on SVO, though opinions vary. Dual fuel is mandatory, of course. I don't know a lot about it; though I am very active in our local biodiesel scene, I'm not a fan of SVO/WVO systems -- see this thread for details. The SD is a critter unlike most other diesels, with its forklift origins, wide agricultural/marine use, electric IP controller and pneumatic governor. The driving experience is . . . agrarian, as C&D used to say.

For specific info on fuel line replacement for BD use, see this thread where I detail the steps I took to do one of mine.

If you plan to swap SD-into-gasser-chassis, be sure to get the fuel tank (different venting, plus no galvanizing inside) and the transmission, as the bolt pattern to the back of the SD is unique and the gasser trans will not bolt up.

I've picked up three '82 720 KC diesel PUs here in the Puget Sound area within the last two years ($400, $100, free: all "sow's ears"), the lastest "parts" rig just two weeks ago -- details here. They're around. In our area, rust is a problem, with the floors and the lower edge of the bed (where the bed floor meets the side skirting) being particular issues. Shouldn't be a problem if you source a rig from your area.

(My father lives in South Pasadena; but his diesels are MB & Ford)

Nissan didn't import a 4WD diesel version of the 720 to the US. Two people that I know about have put an SD into a 4WD 720, both had to fabricate the oil pan and pickup tube.

The 620 (1972-1980, roughly) wasn't available anywhere with the diesel option, though I've heard it's been done. The frame is a different width, but with enough time & money . . .
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
ventureforth

Post by ventureforth »

Thanks for all the info. Read your other posts. Very informative. Any leads to other "for sale" sites as I continue my search?

Thanks.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

CraigsList & AutoTrader are the only resources that come to mind. Oh, and the MSN Group for 720 owners sometimes occaisionally has one come up for sale, but more people advertising to buy rather than sell.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.